First games in 30 years

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: First games in 30 years

Postby grondak on Tue 08 Aug 2017 17:11

I'm the Iguanas.
My friend is the Rats.

I'm not sure we will ever get to the Fighters or Empires rules with the Iguanas and Rats. This is about as complex as a beer & pretzels session needs.

Some of my other friends, though... :) We will see what actively selling Starfire will be like.
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby grondak on Sat 12 Aug 2017 16:49

Scenario 4 report:

The Rats beat the Iguanas.

I had three friends over. It was a 2 player v 2 player battle, as teams. I was the Iguana admiral. We had a great time as players. Lots of rat and iguana jokes.

I made a tactical error: I got my R-carrying ships too close. The Rat F and L-carrying ships ate my CA for lunch. He also knife-fought one of my CTs on turn 1. After the CA went down, he picked my CL to pieces... and he was working on DD1 when I surrendered.

GJ Rats!
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby coldsteel on Sat 12 Aug 2017 16:53

Oh, you dirty rats..... </James Cagney>
TFN: 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby grondak on Sat 12 Aug 2017 17:04

We will play scenario 5-- Swarm Attack-- next weekend. (Sunday I think).

We will probably play it twice.

And bring on the rat jokes, please. Thanks, coldsteel!
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby grondak on Sun 20 Aug 2017 16:28

The Rats beat the Iguanas today in Scenario 5, Swarm Attack. We had time for one run because I was busy prepping eclipse viewing boxes.

The Rats picked R-heavy CAs and took out about one Iguana CT per turn. The Iguana CTs got into their target CA's rear arc and picked away at the CA. The Iguanas lost all ships, and left one of the Rat CAs with a fluctuating drive field. The other CA was unharmed.

We'll try the same scenario in reverse on 3 Sept.
Last edited by grondak on Sun 20 Aug 2017 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby Moonsword on Sun 20 Aug 2017 19:12

Keeping lighter SRW units out of your blind spot can be a pain if they manage to get close in my (decidedly limited) experience. The only thing I've figured out to do at that point is maneuvering your LRW units (if you have more than one) so that their blind spots don't overlap, allowing at least one of them to target the jackals dogging your heels. If you're trying to stay concentrated to maintain datalink against an enemy LRW squadron, that gets a little harder to deal with.
Moonsword
Commander
Commander

Postby grondak on Sun 20 Aug 2017 19:57

Right on, it's difficult to shake.

I might try the good ole Thatch Weave: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thach_Weave

:)
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby grondak on Fri 25 Aug 2017 17:26

This afternoon, the Iguanas fought a new opponent: the Amazons.

The Amazons fought the good fight in Scenario 1 QSR, but the Iguanas tasted victory after a pitched battle. The Amazons brought the Pt-carrying CT while the Iguanas brought in the R/L version. There were several turns of play where no shots hit because the gunners were off their marks. (bad rolls, heh) (lots of chances to learn to maneuver )

The Amazon Captain's AAR -- found in the Amazon's marker recorder torpedo but recovered from battle before it could transition the warp point-- stated that she should have accepted one turn of me being in her blind spot in exchange for the chance to open the range to optimum Pt distance, leaving my remaining L worthless. She will be a truly master tactician!

There's a chance for Scenario 2 tomorrow.
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby procyon on Tue 29 Aug 2017 07:49

I haven't had much chance to post, but I have really enjoyed reading about your battles ! :D
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby grondak on Tue 29 Aug 2017 10:42

We didn't play Starfire that next day. Instead, we watched the Apollo 7 episode ("We Have Cleared the Tower") of From the Earth to the Moon https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_the_Earth_to_the_Moon_(miniseries). We'd been to the Neil Armstrong Museum in Wapakoneta, OH. The Amazon leader loves space. :)
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

PreviousNext

Return to Solar Starfire