Is Maintenance Too High?

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Is Maintenance Too High?

Postby Moonsword on Sat 12 Aug 2017 21:10

Don't forget that as populations go up, the share of income going to the interstellar government goes down sharply.
Moonsword
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Sun 13 Aug 2017 04:29

SCC wrote:Interstellar states in Starfire seem to devolve a lot of power to their planetary members, and the Players only deal with foreign affairs, the military, research, and colonization and not other maters like agriculture, justice and internal trade.

It just feels that way because we abstract those areas to simplify the economics for the game. However, I'm not sure what this has to do with maintenance or decompression.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby SCC on Sun 13 Aug 2017 14:17

Cralis wrote:
SCC wrote:Interstellar states in Starfire seem to devolve a lot of power to their planetary members, and the Players only deal with foreign affairs, the military, research, and colonization and not other maters like agriculture, justice and internal trade.

It just feels that way because we abstract those areas to simplify the economics for the game. However, I'm not sure what this has to do with maintenance or decompression.

It was more a comment on income being low for a given population
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby SCC on Wed 16 Aug 2017 01:32

I thought process here was to both better simulate reality and keep fleet sizes under control drop population based income back to occurring only once a year, on months ending in 1, and population growth to 3% on months ending in 0. All other income would be left alone.

That was when I realized that if I was still paying maintenance monthly it would be too high, 150% of list price a year :shock: So that needs to change, I'm thinking of 3% monthly for warships (Because simply changing maintenance to yearly reintroduces the problem of too many ships and raises problems when a ship in only in service for part of a year), with 1% maybe for FT.

Science I'm thinking is now done yearly, and at triple cost, so normal EL research should consume 60% of budget.

Not sure how to adjust FT income (Because this also affects colony costs) and IU income but thinking interest goes done to 0.2% monthly.
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Whitecold on Wed 16 Aug 2017 23:43

I have to say I am not very fond of the idea of introducing 'special turns'
Personally I'd just increase the required HS to build, RP needed, survey points needed, unit cost and PTU/Infrastructure needed for colonization.
Income only on certain months raises the question of what happens if the player's balance goes negative, and it fixes build activity to those special turns where players get fresh money, instead of spreading it out over the year. The same I'd want science results happening spread through the year.
Otherwise I'd feel like waiting nine subturns to wait for the 'real' turn to happen where the interesting stuff happens, but that is a matter of opinion.
Also I'd be afraid by reducing maintenance that you run into lots of small numbers, which leads to rounding errors.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby SCC on Thu 17 Aug 2017 02:49

Whitecold, these special turns are only for population incomes, so IU, FT leasing, and CC incomes are unaffected and pay out their normal amounts every turn, part of why I'm not thinking of reducing maintenance further. (Interest is lower but it still pays out every turn).

As for running in the red, that doesn't happen. If the player doesn't have the money to pay for something, they aren't allowed to buy it, or in the case of maintenance you can not pay for it and suffer those penalties or mothball/scrap some ships or sell some IU. About the only time that something like what you describe might come would be colony missions, in which case I'd say your forced to sell some IU.

And you can still do plenty of stuff on the other turns, and making all your purchases on the one turn you get a lot of money would be a bad idea for a couple of reasons.
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Thu 17 Aug 2017 11:10

That is an interesting possibility, moving to a fiscal year system very much like what governments do. Realisticall though the fiscal year is more about planning then when income arrives. But we could do that. The potential complication would be emergencies -- needing to liberate allocated but unexpended funding for something like emergency construction.

If you want to do it realistically anyway. I could see it done less realistically, which give more value to non-tax revenue, IU, and reserve funds.

Something to really think about. At least for economics geeks like me :lol:
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby SCC on Thu 17 Aug 2017 14:36

Three things Cralis:
1) This should encourage putting some funds aside for such situations, cutting down on the number of ships floating around problem.
2) Sell some IU, or FT to the CFN. Or simply scrap some older ships.
3) Maybe a rule about being able to free up funds from another part of the budget, a roll against RM or maybe RO to free up a percentage of the Empires TNI
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Fri 18 Aug 2017 00:45

SCC wrote:Three things Cralis:
1) This should encourage putting some funds aside for such situations, cutting down on the number of ships floating around problem.

Reserve funds would be more common because the flexibility outweighs the alternative costs. However, IU still needs to be dealt with as it currently performs a similar function.

Do you mean "too many ships"? It just extends the timeline by 10, approximately.

2) Sell some IU, or FT to the CFN. Or simply scrap some older ships.

This sounds like possible actions rather than a point of interest. But these would be some methods for monthly income.

3) Maybe a rule about being able to free up funds from another part of the budget, a roll against RM or maybe RO to free up a percentage of the Empires TNI

I'd like to avoid that. I'm thinking that we can simply have certain expenditures occur on an annual basis, and the larger chunk of tax income that comes in at the same time is used to fund those expenditures. Realistically you'd just be "planning" that expenditures and the income comes in monthly, but we want to simplify things.

Of course, we can use random events with recessions or booms that would require you to cover shorted expenditures with flexible income during a recession or have extra monthly income added during a boom period.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby SCC on Fri 18 Aug 2017 02:00

Cralis I'm already moving research funding to annual only, and I suppose that colonization could be moved as well. I don't want to move maintenance, as this causes problems with ships only being active half the year or discourages mothballing ships. Moving building would be a BAD idea, it make emergency construction or de-mothballing impossible.
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Previous

Return to Solar Starfire