Shields & Cp ships exceeding MPS

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Shields & Cp ships exceeding MPS

Postby Ged on Mon 30 Jul 2018 03:01

The Charged Particle Engine Tree introduction on pg243 states that “Cp top speed is limited only by the ability of the deflector to protect the ship from space dust and debris.”

Cp.03 (pg244) reaffirms the above statement while providing more detail: “To protect the ship from debris and dust, Cp engines have a df (deflector field) of strong magnetic loops mounted to the front of the ship which are generally kept pointing in the Direction of Movement to prevent damage [C11.02.2].”

C11.02.2 (pg23) does a great job describing LEL MPS, FDEF and Risk Factor while providing solid examples of a ship taking 1-2 points of damage every tactical turn that it continues to operate outside of its MPS.

And finally, my question: When a Cp ship exceeds its MPS and sustains damage from "dust and debris", can the damage incurred be mitigated by active shield systems?

A big thank you in advance for any insight provided! :D
Ged
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Re: Shields & Cp ships exceeding MPS

Postby LesMasters on Mon 30 Jul 2018 10:23

Hi, Ged

I can't see anything offhand which says you can't use shields with Cp drives, but I wonder if this is an oversight. The introductory paragrahs to S in section A describe shields as "deflecting incoming particles and particle radiation". Given how the Cp drive works, I wouldn't to be inside its shields when someone started up the drive. I'm too young to be fried alive. ;)

Les
LesMasters
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Tue 31 Jul 2018 19:09

Shields were originally overlooked in that version. The next version of SSF has several new rules for Cp when it comes to shields. I don’t have the rules and change document here at work, but I can summarize the changes that I can remember:

* Active shields remove all of the stealth advantages of Cp
* Active shields increase MPS by a huge amount (S ignores space debris up to a point), but take damage every tactical turn the ship accelerates, and takes all movement related damage first

...to be continued
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby LesMasters on Wed 01 Aug 2018 03:41

Hi, Cralis

Thanks for this. Following on from my earlier post - I would certainly be interested in knowing how the crew of a ship with active shields and an active Cp drive avoids being fried. I am assuming that, once the CpF becomes available, the same pseudo-science applies as for S + I/J drives, but I can't think of any reason why this would be the case pre-CpF, given that shields in Starfire have to be uniform & continuous.

Les
LesMasters
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Wed 01 Aug 2018 11:24

Shields are a funny tech. We don’t fully define them for several reasons, not the least of which is to give campaign authors room to define them a little different.

All that to suggest that perhaps shields work one-way in part or whole and thus it’s not a big problem :)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby LesMasters on Wed 01 Aug 2018 15:16

While I was writing my previous post I did, very briefly, think of one-way glass. I thought required a little too much handwavium for comfort. :D But, at the end of the day, most of the pseudo-science in the game is 1 part real science and however much handwavium you need to make it plausible. One-way shields it is, then..... and I don't have to worry about being fried alive. Phew!!! :D

Les
LesMasters
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Wed 01 Aug 2018 16:32

Ahhh a short break at work. To the Starfires! :D

Even if you assume that shields are some form of magentic field, a monopolar field could potentially allow for a one-way deflector. That’s one possibility.

In SSF I’ve been going on the assumption that the Simple Theory of Everything is basically correct (give or take some octadic equations), and it predicts that there are new fields and particles that we currently cannot even define. Since this theory of everything is the assumed knowledge that allows the HEL 1 CTJ... I make an assumption that at least on of those fields can be manipulated to form shields. I personally am thinking of magnetic-like spacial field... but hey! That’s just my theory ;)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Solar Starfire