Qt tech tree - EL or SL driven?

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Owner, SDS Members

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Qt tech tree - EL or SL driven?

Postby Cralis on Fri 15 Nov 2019 15:05

I’m curious what everyone’s opinion and reasoning is on this. Qt technologies include not just Qt, Qtr, and Qtc, but also the various methods of landing them on planets; air drop, orbit drop, etc. And in the future we will be adding a little more to those techs.

Keeping in mind that the Construction Tree is EL driven; should we also have a Qt tree bound by EL or SL?

Why?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: Qt tech tree - EL or SL driven?

Postby Xveers on Fri 15 Nov 2019 22:13

I think that it should actually operate more like the Engine Root tree. It's always at a minimum your current EL, but if desired you can push it beyond that. Tech items/techniques are unlocked whenever you get the SL thanks to an increasing EL, but if you push ahead you have to research the individual techs like a normal tech tree. Costs for the items would be as per N6.04.

That way, as your empire organically grows more advanced, you get access to better technologies as part of the deal. The tradeoff through is that you have to wait. More warlike empires, or an empire that is going to war in the future may choose to push an EL or two ahead to get access to better tech (for example getting orbital drop pods ahead of time) if they feel it would be useful.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sat 16 Nov 2019 02:42

Xveers wrote:I think that it should actually operate more like the Engine Root tree. It's always at a minimum your current EL, but if desired you can push it beyond that.

I don't even see the need for it at the Engine Root. But more importantly, why is it necessary? Either you get it with EL or you research it with SL. One is automatic but you can't jump ahead and the other goes only as far as you push it. And that makes more sense to me because otherwise there won't be any imbalance in ground troop technologies.

Tech items/techniques are unlocked whenever you get the SL thanks to an increasing EL, but if you push ahead you have to research the individual techs like a normal tech tree. Costs for the items would be as per N6.04.

Again, why is this necessary?

That way, as your empire organically grows more advanced, you get access to better technologies as part of the deal. The tradeoff through is that you have to wait. More warlike empires, or an empire that is going to war in the future may choose to push an EL or two ahead to get access to better tech (for example getting orbital drop pods ahead of time) if they feel it would be useful.

No other tree except for the engine root does this. Not even the Construction Tree. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm wondering if we should even have it at the Engine Root.

For the sake of continuing, if we cross this off the table, would you pick EL or SL?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Kumakunshu on Sat 16 Nov 2019 12:07

I think we should go with SL. There are many real world examples of high tech and low tech armies in an environment where many nations sheared the same overall EL.
Kumakunshu
Midshipman 2nd Class
Midshipman 2nd Class

Postby Sunwolf on Sun 17 Nov 2019 08:00

I agree SL is the way to go (for Engine Tree too)
Sunwolf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby dazrand on Sun 17 Nov 2019 13:58

I would go with SL rather than EL. The why: it offers more diversity among races and keeps to the individualization of a race's ability which GSF brought us. If you tie it to EL, they become very much like the PCF of earlier editions.
dazrand
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby krenshala on Wed 20 Nov 2019 17:20

I also like the SL idea better.

But then, I think it should be applied to the Construction Tree as well. :twisted:
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 13yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Thu 21 Nov 2019 10:26

krenshala wrote:But then, I think it should be applied to the Construction Tree as well. :twisted:

The Construction Tree has the hull research mechanism, so it doesn't really need it.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Solar Starfire