WP Transit Info

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Owner, SDS Members

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

WP Transit Info

Postby Graystonw on Tue 21 Jan 2020 12:20

Just to make sure I'm doing this right...

A unit equipped with X transits an WP. Per table D5.04, upon arriving at the other side, it will have:

• Transit Information - thus will be able to use the WP again
  • Surge Data - once compiled (6 hours, Very Detailed Data, P5.04.3), it will be able to determine it's facing when exiting the WP
  • Location Information - it knows which sH the WP is located in
  • Visibility Data - once compiled (1 hour, Detailed Data, P5.04.2), it will know the classification of the visibility of the WP

Does the above, specifically visibility, apply to ships with X generations below the level needed to survey for a particular visibility? If a ship with Xa transits a WP that is Open on the side it enters and Concealed on the side it arrives at, will it gather enough information to return home? Once it has transmitted the information to other (non-X-equipped)ships, will they be able to do the same?

Again, thank you for your help as I transition from fan of the game to an actual player!

-G
Graystonw
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Re: WP Transit Info

Postby Xveers on Tue 21 Jan 2020 20:45

I'm sure someone will be along with the citations, but Yes. A ship does not have to be able to survey the warp point if they transit through it from the other side, and they will gain all the navigational information necessary to transit through it safely and emerge on a heading of their choice.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: WP Transit Info

Postby Cralis on Wed 22 Jan 2020 00:20

Graystonw wrote:Just to make sure I'm doing this right...

A unit equipped with X transits an WP. Per table D5.04, upon arriving at the other side, it will have:

• Transit Information - thus will be able to use the WP again
  • Surge Data - once compiled (6 hours, Very Detailed Data, P5.04.3), it will be able to determine it's facing when exiting the WP
  • Location Information - it knows which sH the WP is located in
  • Visibility Data - once compiled (1 hour, Detailed Data, P5.04.2), it will know the classification of the visibility of the WP

This is correct. Remember that the "data" once compiled turns into information. So Surge Data turns into Surge Information and Visibility Data turns into Visibility Information -- it is the "information form" is what gives you the useful stuff.

Does the above, specifically visibility, apply to ships with X generations below the level needed to survey for a particular visibility? If a ship with Xa transits a WP that is Open on the side it enters and Concealed on the side it arrives at, will it gather enough information to return home? Once it has transmitted the information to other (non-X-equipped)ships, will they be able to do the same?

You gain the information no matter the type of the WP (as per [D5.04] second paragraph). Traveling through the WP gives you this information no matter the visibility type and your science instruments generation. The difficulty applies to surveying for the WP where you don't know where it is and you've never traveled through it.

Again, thank you for your help as I transition from fan of the game to an actual player!

You're welcome! It's my pleasure to help you on your path to galactic overlord :lol:
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Solar Starfire