L7.02 Clarification

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

L7.02 Clarification

Postby Skarn on Tue 19 May 2020 09:14

Table L7.02 (p. 98) indicates that FT hulls with X equipment pay 15% maintenance.

H1.03.1 (p. 72) states that Xp (Planet Surveyor) is a non-military system.

AA-X (p. 294) states that Xp is NOT a Science Instrument, even though it appears on the X tree at SL0.

Situation: I have an FT0 with Xp, but no Xa or other X? equipment. No military equipment is installed, per H1.03.1 definitions.

RAW, this ship pays 15%, military-level maintenance for having an X system.

Is this also RAI, or should an all-civilian freighter pay the usual 7.5% listed on L7.02 since Xp is civilian equipment?
Skarn
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Re: L7.02 Clarification

Postby Antares on Tue 19 May 2020 13:55

Xp is not an X... just because it begins with an X, it is different from the science instruments (X).

If the rules say that Xp is not a military system, then it is not.

RAW, the ship does NOT pay 15% maintenance, as it has no military systems, regardless of whether one of the systems begins with the letter X.
Antares
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Skarn on Wed 20 May 2020 08:46

Antares wrote:Xp is not an X... just because it begins with an X, it is different from the science instruments (X).

If the rules say that Xp is not a military system, then it is not.

RAW, the ship does NOT pay 15% maintenance, as it has no military systems, regardless of whether one of the systems begins with the letter X.

I'm in agreement at Xp is not a military system, that is clearly stated in H1.03.1. However, it isn't the presence of military systems that calls for the increase in maintenance, since H1.03.3 provides for the 20% limit on military systems in FT hulls. If I exceed that, I not only have to pay increased maintenance, I also have to pay more for the hull since it is no longer a freighter but a Q ship (warship disguised as a freighter).

However, AA-X stating that Xp are not Science Instruments does not indicate to me that an FT carrying them would not have X since while the 'p' is not a generational notation, it is a code appended to an 'X' (AA1) and thus incurs the L7.02 increased maintance RAW.
Skarn
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Lomn on Fri 29 May 2020 09:08

I read "FT with X" as including Xp. Xp is not "Science Instruments", but I don't see how to conclude from RAW that it is not "X".

Running a search on the phrase "Science Instruments" in the rules, though, I think there are some significant inconsistencies. K2.05 (Survey Fund definition) uses "must be equipped with Science Instruments (X)" -- does Xp not qualify for the Survey Fund? Most critically, N12.01.1 (LEL tech development) category C includes "Science Instruments (Xp)", which directly contradicts the note in the tech tree.

Would it be preferable to change the tech tree note to say that Xp does not generate warp survey points (but otherwise leave it as a science instrument with all the general rules like survey speed applicable)? It seems like that's what the underlying intent is.
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Return to Solar Starfire