Table E4C, F3.01, and F3.02 - Life Support for Crew Transfer

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Table E4C, F3.01, and F3.02 - Life Support for Crew Transfer

Postby Skarn on Tue 19 May 2020 07:23

I'm seeking clarification on how to transfer crew replacements (SC & PC), and how much life support they require.

F3.01 defines Ship Crew Points (SC), with 3.01.1 referring to Table E4C for Qv transport requirements.

F3.02, F3.02.1, and F3.02.2 do the same for Pilot Crew Points (PC).

Table E4C does list Qv (but not Q) requirements for PC, but it makes no references to SC. Instead, it lists Qv and Q requirements for CP (which are not defined anywhere in the rules, based on a full-text search.

This confusion is heightened by E4.02 which states that personnel are transfered not in Qv, but in H, at a rate of 1 CP = 10 csp. Add in F3.01 (H do not require life support) and AA-Qv.01 indicating that Qv rather then H are the cryogenic quarters, and I expect a 0% survival rate for any personnel transported per E4.02.

Looking at AA-Q.01 doesn't help, since it, too, references Table E4C.

---

My marines (Qt) will be glad to board a ship to transfer duty stations via Qv 8-) . However, at this rate, any SC or PC I order to ship out will be afraid of sucking vacuum :o if they aren't directly boarding the ship to which they've been posted.
Skarn
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Re: Table E4C, F3.01, and F3.02 - Life Support for Crew Transfer

Postby Antares on Tue 19 May 2020 14:15

Per L1.05 Populations Producing Manpower

"Crew are automatically supplied to man units when they are built, repaired, or reactivated. When a unit receives maintenance, it also receives any replacement crew, up to the maximum amount of crew it can carry."

There does not appear to need to be any accounting for the movement of the crew, as it appears that it is done when these activities happen. (So I am wondering why SC is mentioned at all in those rules... unless we're talking resupply via IFN or somesuch.)
Antares
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby dazrand on Tue 19 May 2020 20:44

Prior editions of the rules relied on crew replacement tracking. This was mitigated over time to simplify things, but the rules remained. The rule can still apply to ships which are cutoff and out of supply, especially when they need to replace PC.
dazrand
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Skarn on Wed 20 May 2020 08:24

Not only is there the consideration of out-of-contact units, but since I need to design my own CFN's freighters, I doubt they'd be very happy with me if I used insufficient Qa and wound up with a design that could only carry, say 1-3 SC per freighter because it didn't have enough Qa to account for the extra life support requirements of SC (and/or PC) in Qv.
Skarn
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Cralis on Thu 21 May 2020 22:34

Skarn wrote:I'm seeking clarification on how to transfer crew replacements (SC & PC), and how much life support they require.

F3.01 defines Ship Crew Points (SC), with 3.01.1 referring to Table E4C for Qv transport requirements.

F3.02, F3.02.1, and F3.02.2 do the same for Pilot Crew Points (PC).

Table E4C does list Qv (but not Q) requirements for PC, but it makes no references to SC. Instead, it lists Qv and Q requirements for CP (which are not defined anywhere in the rules, based on a full-text search.

AA.Q.01 states that "Each point of Q capacity can support 1 SC or an equivalent crew [F3.01]" Originally this was taken to mean that 1 SC = 1 PC. In the next version we are adding to E4C the life support required for living crew: 1 SC or 3 PC per HS of life support capacity. I would suggest you use this.

Also keep in mind that you are talking about TWO different capacities: Q (living crew) and Qv (cryogenically stored crew). Qv is designed to allow transport of large quantities of bodies: PTU, Qt, or large amounts of excess crew. However, they must be re-animated before they can disembark and be used. Those rules are in AA.Qv

This confusion is heightened by E4.02 which states that personnel are transfered not in Qv, but in H, at a rate of 1 CP = 10 csp. Add in F3.01 (H do not require life support) and AA-Qv.01 indicating that Qv rather then H are the cryogenic quarters, and I expect a 0% survival rate for any personnel transported per E4.02.

That's because E4.01.2 clearly spells out that transfers are through H, because H has exterior airlocks. You are conflating "transferred" (aka moving through) with "storage" (aka living inside).
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Solar Starfire