D2.06.1 Wrecks

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

D2.06.1 Wrecks

Postby Skarn on Sun 21 Jun 2020 05:48

I am somewhat confused about what I can do with salvaged wrecks.

E4.05.1 says that I can transfer any surviving cargo off of a wreck. E5.09 says that I can tractor a wreck (so I can bring it into range of my (SY) in the same system). E8.03.2 states that PDCs with Hh that are wrecked by a ship's departure may be repaired. M3.08 says that wrecks may be scrapped (with destroyed wrecks being worthless).

What's confusing me is that the introductory paragraphs of U2 suggest that the hulls and surviving systems (such as A) on a wreck may be valuable.

In order to be valuable beyond scrap value, I'd need to be able to salvage intact systems and/or refurbish the wrecks' hull for reuse, but I don't find any rules specifically permitting this with wrecks.

Thus, having survived finding a Berserker DN, I am wondering if I can do anything with the wrecks it created beyond recovering 30% of the original ships' list cost? I have several wrecks with S and/or A still intact, and I'd love to be able to reuse the hulls and intact systems.
Skarn
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Re: D2.06.1 Wrecks

Postby Cralis on Fri 26 Jun 2020 13:33

Whoops, I seem to have missed your topic. My apologies...

Skarn wrote:I am somewhat confused about what I can do with salvaged wrecks.

E4.05.1 says that I can transfer any surviving cargo off of a wreck. E5.09 says that I can tractor a wreck (so I can bring it into range of my (SY) in the same system). E8.03.2 states that PDCs with Hh that are wrecked by a ship's departure may be repaired. M3.08 says that wrecks may be scrapped (with destroyed wrecks being worthless).

M3.08.2 Salvaging Wrecks can be very important if you are using Energy beams, Primary beams, or some other weapon that leaves a partial wreck (or even a non-wreck) behind. Because then you can strip any still working systems from it, and if you don't already have it researched, use it for accelerated research (N9.03)

What's confusing me is that the introductory paragraphs of U2 suggest that the hulls and surviving systems (such as A) on a wreck may be valuable.

Right now the intelligence system is extremely simple. That's going to be re-written in a future update, in which case you may be able to glean a little bit more information from wrecks.

In order to be valuable beyond scrap value, I'd need to be able to salvage intact systems and/or refurbish the wrecks' hull for reuse, but I don't find any rules specifically permitting this with wrecks.

You can with Partial Wrecks, though I note it does not specifically state that or that it would only applied to undamaged HS and systems. I'll put an edit in there.

Thus, having survived finding a Berserker DN, I am wondering if I can do anything with the wrecks it created beyond recovering 30% of the original ships' list cost? I have several wrecks with S and/or A still intact, and I'd love to be able to reuse the hulls and intact systems.

You can certainly strip the intact systems out. You only get value out of the HS that is filled with undamaged systems.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Skarn on Sat 27 Jun 2020 01:38

Cralis wrote:You can certainly strip the intact systems out. You only get value out of the HS that is filled with undamaged systems.

Then you may want to also put in an edit note for M3.08.
M3.08 Scrap, page 106 wrote:Hulls, systems, wrecks, and small units can be scrapped reclaiming 30% of their list cost, even if damaged.
Skarn
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby Cralis on Sun 28 Jun 2020 15:28

Skarn wrote:Then you may want to also put in an edit note for M3.08.

On this one, we are waaaay ahead of you on the next update :-) This and more has been added for wreck handling.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Solar Starfire