Economic spread sheet

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Economic spread sheet

Postby Xveers on Wed 22 Jul 2020 00:00

Just want to ping in and apologize for not having gotten the time to make that video. Hoping to block out some time this weekend.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby StarTytalan on Wed 22 Jul 2020 15:04

Thank you I looking forward to that video
StarTytalan
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby Xveers on Sat 25 Jul 2020 22:53

StarTytalan wrote:Thank you I looking forward to that video

Okay! It's now done. I'm not going to lie that it's a bit rough. I haven't done any streaming in a LONG time, but I think it covers what you want. I also apologize in advance for it being a ramble-fest :twisted:

https://youtu.be/t5BKSuTE7aw
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Xveers on Wed 29 Jul 2020 16:27

StarTytalan wrote:Thank you I looking forward to that video

Going to guess you haven't had a chance to look, yet?
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Antares on Thu 30 Jul 2020 15:52

Thanks for putting it together for us.

The workbook that you are using in the video is different from the one that I have. There were all sorts of small craft on mine, but you only show a few... so it appears that you are using an older version. Still, this shouldn't cause any problem for the viewer.

You also talk about a few things in passing that may not be exactly right, such as the ability to use Cp drives at start, but folks should be able to work out those things easily enough. (At least I believe you can't use them... maybe this changes in the next version?)

Question for you though... on planet names, you did say to make them different, using an example of II-b (I think)... I have gotten into the habit of using system number also, so... 500-II-b for the planet name. I am wondering if not including the system number for the planet name might cause issues later if two II-b planets (in two different systems) are populated, for example.
Antares
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby Xveers on Fri 31 Jul 2020 17:32

Antares wrote:Thanks for putting it together for us.

The workbook that you are using in the video is different from the one that I have. There were all sorts of small craft on mine, but you only show a few... so it appears that you are using an older version. Still, this shouldn't cause any problem for the viewer.

I admit I was running off what is probably a slightly older downloaded version, but there shouldn't be any real differences. The additional small craft on the Ship Design tab is just additional data entry.

You also talk about a few things in passing that may not be exactly right, such as the ability to use Cp drives at start, but folks should be able to work out those things easily enough. (At least I believe you can't use them... maybe this changes in the next version?)

I'll admit this is a bit of a problem of mine insofar as I wasn't really running with a script, so you're getting a bit of a "flow of consciousness" kinda thing. The mention of Cp drives is one of them.

Question for you though... on planet names, you did say to make them different, using an example of II-b (I think)... I have gotten into the habit of using system number also, so... 500-II-b for the planet name. I am wondering if not including the system number for the planet name might cause issues later if two II-b planets (in two different systems) are populated, for example.

Yes, you are right that omitting the system number will potentially cause problems in the future, though fortunately it will be only isolated to one place (as I recall). The problems will arise when you want to send a colony trip somewhere. If there are multiple II-b entries, there's no guarantee that it'll pick the right planet to pull habitability information.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Fri 31 Jul 2020 22:18

Just use unique planet names for everything :)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Antares on Sat 01 Aug 2020 06:50

Cralis wrote:Just use unique planet names for everything :)

And you can avoid naming locations that you will NEVER colonize... not every planet / moon needs to be named or listed on the sheet. Among these certainly will be Deadly planets, but also I would think that non-T/ST planets that are below Rich, and Extreme worlds can be ignored as well. There should be plenty of better places to put your pop.
Antares
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby Xveers on Sat 01 Aug 2020 16:15

My usual spec is that I only created line entries for planets that I would want to colonize (T/ST/mT), as well as potentially valuable strategic locations (IE barren planets/moons in systems that I want to claim). Beyond that I don't usually bother naming/entering the planets. Most places might get named in fiction, but they probably won't ever make it onto my spreadsheet.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Lomn on Sun 02 Aug 2020 14:42

The spreadsheet rolls up data on a system-planet pair of data (that is, systems uses a sumif by checking the system name). So System 1 Planet A will not be confused with System 2 Planet A.
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Solar Starfire