Sprint mode missile

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Sprint mode missile

Postby StarTytalan on Sat 25 Jul 2020 11:32

I’m asking this again because no one seems to want to give a explanation.

Sprint Mode Missile are inferior to all other SRW I have found no advantage to them at all. Please tell me what I’m missing. Here a comparison with Force Beams

Range: the Sprint Missile has a shorter range at every SL

Damage: the Force Beam does greater or equal damage at all but the last range increment or 3

To Hit: the Force Beam is better at all ranges

Defenses: Force Beam deals with both primary passive Defenses while the Sprint Missile not only deals with both of those but also has to deal with the active point defense dropping damage by 40%

Space: the Force Beam does take approximately 1.5 times the space of the Sprint Missile

Ammo: Force Beam has unlimited ammo the Sprint Missile has 10 turns of fire unless “Mg”s are build into the ship increasing the effect space cost of the sprint missile

ROF: Basically the same until SL 15 and this greater ROF is offset by the much greater range of the Force Beam.

I’ve been told time and again that every weapon has both its uses and it SL to shine but I have yet to be given a single example were a Sprint Missile has either of these. It starts out as a inferior weapon and remains that thru all SLs. Please explain how this is wrong.

As it stands now I see no point of including this system in the game. I thought that it was in small craft were it proved itself a useful weapon but I have since been told that is not the case and in fact it’s even weaker there were it does less damage since it’s the only SWR that has to deal with point defense and requires a closer attack run than other SRWs
StarTytalan
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Re: Sprint mode missile

Postby Cralis on Sat 25 Jul 2020 22:07

The Sprint Missile is a "secondary" SRW that was never intended to replace F, E, or L. In fact, in the next version of the SSF rules it won't even be a "beginning" SRW that a new empire can choose to start with. G will be part of the R Trunk just like Pg is part of the Pt trunk.

There are some uses for it, especially around WP defense and with different warheads. But frankly I don't feel like arguing about it right now.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby StarTytalan on Fri 31 Jul 2020 17:44

Getting mad at me for pointing out something that you say is true makes no sense. Sorry if my getting back in the game causes you problems.
StarTytalan
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby Cralis on Fri 31 Jul 2020 22:30

You, sir, have not seen me mad. But I will stop responding to you if you continue to try and bait me.

Sir, the reason you are getting some pushback from multiple people is that you have asked and many people have answered your questions. Asking the questions again -- even if you rephrase them -- is not going to change the answers.

As I said in the other topic you started about sprint missiles, I'm not even sure of your goal. Do you want G to be a viable starting SRW? If so, then I suggest that you compare it to the other SRWs and make a recommendation of how you think we can change it to be more viable. Explain why you want to change it and how you expect the altered weapon system to be used.

Then we'll have something to discuss.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Antares on Sat 01 Aug 2020 07:20

I am trying to figure out whether the G system would ever be researched if it were a branch of another weapon system (I forget which you mentioned... R probably). As it is, G (to me, anyway) is only really good in the first few SL's of the game with it's two points of damage potentially overcoming range issues, and with limited HS's available for weapons early in the game. I played a game recently where I was able to maintain range 3 (I think) of a ship armed with L/R and was able to do more damage that way. Perhaps it's a matter of being able to control the range that helps ships with these weapons.

Back to my point, though. Since the G system only seems good in the early stages of the game, I don't think that I'd ever research it unless it were better somehow... for example, maybe doing three points of damage at all ranges instead of two. I imagine that this would make it feel a bit overpowered then... but you need to spend MCr's on research and development after a breakthrough to get it, so....

Maybe I put the G branch at the end of my breakthrough list and, if I happen to open it, use G only for WP defense situations. So, perhaps it has a place.

Now, perhaps you bring W back into the game at a higher tech level as a twig (branch?) of G, that would be interesting and make G branch worth the breakthrough.
Antares
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby Cralis on Sun 02 Aug 2020 11:42

If only there was a tactical situation where the defender controls the range to the enemy at all times...

:D
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby StarTytalan on Sun 02 Aug 2020 14:12

Carlis I’m not trying to bate you by any means. I asked the question multiple ways because until I got the answer that that you were removing it from the starting systems and moving it to a spin off tree from the R because no one actually gave a actual answer to my question. The responses were rule balance or that’s the way it is with no real explanation. Once I got a explanation “that balancing them with Rs was a issue so it was decided to make them underpowered”. I quit asking the question. I even agree with it after doing a in-depth comparison with Rs, the really are the gold standard. Like said once I got a explanation of the thought process I back off. I like detailed answers so I can see the thought process when I’m analyzing something once I could see your reasoning I could adjust my expectations to fit those thought process.

If I sounded like I was trying to hate you I apologize. I’m a analysis in many ways at heart and just want this game to be the best it can.
StarTytalan
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby Cralis on Sun 02 Aug 2020 16:38

StarTytalan wrote:I’m a analysis in many ways at heart and just want this game to be the best it can.

Sir, I have been trying to work with you because this, what you said right here, is all that really matters to me!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Solar Starfire