Forced Resettlement Needs A Fix

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Forced Resettlement Needs A Fix

Postby SCC on Sat 29 Aug 2020 05:26

So I've just come from running the numbers on the cost of Forced Resettlement of your own population Vs. using normal colonization and it isn't in the favor of colonization all the time. So my results:

For in-system colonization Forced Resettlement always works out cheaper then real colonization, as it's basically at a discount.

For systems one StMP away the fol owing table with source habitability on the left and destination on the right shows the max you should be prepared to use to get a better deal.
Benign --> Benign
Harsh --> Harsh
Hostile --> Desolate
Desolate --> Extreme
Extreme --> Extreme

And for 2-4 StMP the table is:
Desolate --> Desolate
Extreme --> Extreme
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Forced Resettlement Needs A Fix

Postby Cralis on Sun 30 Aug 2020 16:35

SCC wrote:So I've just come from running the numbers on the cost of Forced Resettlement of your own population Vs. using normal colonization and it isn't in the favor of colonization all the time. So my results:

For in-system colonization Forced Resettlement always works out cheaper then real colonization, as it's basically at a discount.

As written in v6.02, Forced Resettlement was never intended to be used on your own populations. The RC penalty factors against you with subject populations.

In v6.03, the version we are working on releasing, if you use this to move your own population then the population will produce no income and has no ground-based construction for a number of Months after the forced resettlement is completed.

The cost isn't really less, but it is the only way you can force a population to move. It was intended to be used on conquered or surrendered populations that are on real-estate that you would prefer your own population to occupy.

If you don't strip the infrastructure of the population when you move them, you will still pay the full H cost from another location; either at the destination (if you are shipping them to an existing population) or from another population. And if you do strip the population, then you will get only half of the H value and will have to pay the full H value for any population you ship to that location (if you, for example, move a population so you can emplace your own).

The only time that this isn't true is if you force a population to move from a worse environment to a better one.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby krenshala on Wed 09 Sep 2020 18:03

Even if you moved from Desolate to Benign, you would still have to pay the emplacement fee per PTU (not per PU). Its actually worse if you Force Relocate a population to a world with lots of people, as the PTU to PU conversion happens after you emplace them.
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 13yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby SCC on Thu 10 Sep 2020 03:20

WHAT? I'm pretty sure that the conversion from PT to PTU happens when you load the people onto the transports. And one of the options for Forced Resettlement is that they can take their old settlement equipment with them, when you move them.
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Thu 10 Sep 2020 12:15

SCC wrote:WHAT? I'm pretty sure that the conversion from PT to PTU happens when you load the people onto the transports. And one of the options for Forced Resettlement is that they can take their old settlement equipment with them, when you move them.

It does.

But what he's saying is that when you unload the PTU to a world with a small or larger population, the PTU-to-PU conversion happens AFTER they join the population, making them less likely to affect the PU balance on those larger populations.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Solar Starfire