Maser Nebulae

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Maser Nebulae

Postby SCC on Mon 07 Sep 2020 16:50

You don't actually NEED that many FT with MNE, you only need one to get your first colony across such a nebula, and then you only need enough to keep the dangerous pool full, you don't need to refit the Government pool.
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Antares on Tue 08 Sep 2020 15:31

Cralis wrote:Maser nebula do 2 damage per day, so 2 MNE would mitigate the damage. That's only 3 HS... I wonder if we should make them bigger? 3 HS each? 5 HS each?

I would think that it might be better to make maser nebulae damage more variable... not two points per day all the time. Perhaps some are stronger than others, or perhaps one might do between 1-3 points of damage per day randomly?

If either or these would work, then design philosophy is less certain.
Antares
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Wed 09 Sep 2020 18:45

I imagine that if the damage was variable, taking damage to the CFN will be just as costly as losing more cargo space. But that's a very interesting idea... it gives you the choice of taking a chance with fewer MNE or going completely safe by putting enough to cover the max damage. Or some variation thereof for you number crunchers that will work out the math...

But does anyone else have an opinion? If Maser nebulas are so easy to mitigate then it doesn't really seem like there is much point to them.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Antares on Thu 10 Sep 2020 19:38

Cralis wrote:If Maser nebulas are so easy to mitigate then it doesn't really seem like there is much point to them.

Not all impacts are mitigated this way. You still have sensor, communications, and drone reorientation effects... as well as limitations on population placement in system. There are also some interesting special effects in these forms of nebulae.
Antares
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Fri 11 Sep 2020 02:25

Antares wrote:
Cralis wrote:If Maser nebulas are so easy to mitigate then it doesn't really seem like there is much point to them.

Not all impacts are mitigated this way. You still have sensor, communications, and drone reorientation effects... as well as limitations on population placement in system. There are also some interesting special effects in these forms of nebulae.

True. But the biggest effect is to act as a barrier and if MNE mitigates the issue 100% of the time... it's not much of a barrier.

What about limiting the number of MNE based on ship size or something?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby szurkey on Sat 12 Sep 2020 07:11

SCC wrote:You don't actually NEED that many FT with MNE, you only need one to get your first colony across such a nebula, and then you only need enough to keep the dangerous pool full, you don't need to refit the Government pool.

I think you underestimate how aggressively I colonize... And how many T and ST worlds I found on the other side of that maser nebula...
szurkey
Captain
Captain

Postby szurkey on Sat 12 Sep 2020 07:26

Cralis wrote:I imagine that if the damage was variable, taking damage to the CFN will be just as costly as losing more cargo space. But that's a very interesting idea... it gives you the choice of taking a chance with fewer MNE or going completely safe by putting enough to cover the max damage. Or some variation thereof for you number crunchers that will work out the math...

But does anyone else have an opinion? If Maser nebulas are so easy to mitigate then it doesn't really seem like there is much point to them.

The problem is hull size... CT with 16 HS uses 9.375% of HS per MNE, and they don't have the number of systems to take much damage. SD with 165 HS uses 0.909% of HS per MNE, and they have a lot of systems to take damage...

Have you considered make maser nebula damage dependent on HS? Say FRU(([ship type] + 1) / 2)? A CT[2] would then take two point of damage per day, while an SD[10] would take six points of damage per day. It still favors larger hulls, but not nearly as much. Just be sure if you change the formula that EX[0] will always take at least one damage per day.
szurkey
Captain
Captain

Postby Antares on Sat 12 Sep 2020 19:13

Similar to the last proposal, you might require a certain percentage of the hull for each MNE mounted... the idea being there is more surface area susceptible to effects. If you are looking at a % of hull size, then you might also consider requiring fast hulls to spend more HS% for one... a more cylindrical shape will have more surface area than a sphere.
Antares
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby SCC on Sun 13 Sep 2020 18:04

szurkey wrote:
SCC wrote:You don't actually NEED that many FT with MNE, you only need one to get your first colony across such a nebula, and then you only need enough to keep the dangerous pool full, you don't need to refit the Government pool.

I think you underestimate how aggressively I colonize... And how many T and ST worlds I found on the other side of that maser nebula...

You don't get it, once you've got one colony on the far side of the nebula you can set up a Dangerous System Pool , a special type of Government Pool, in the system or systems that contain the nebula and colonize like normal.
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Mon 14 Sep 2020 23:09

Interesting ideas, thank you. It's not going to change in the version we are working on, but I have a note to examine your ideas for the future.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

PreviousNext

Return to Solar Starfire