New to all this.

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

New to all this.

Postby todd_636 on Sun 20 Sep 2020 11:00

Well, sort of new. Have 2nd edition, and Galatic, but never really played. So, would like to start playing again and thought I would start with the newest rules. So is Solar Starfire the version I want? And this is the full, complete rules? The thing that is throwing me off is there is a bundle in the store which includes Solar and Ultra.

Assuming Solar here. There is a spreadsheet that can build ships? And where is that located? The download section is a 404 Error. I have the counters and maps from 4th. Is that all I need to get started? How many ships can one comfortable run once familiar with the rules? Anything else I should know to get started? Any tips?
Thanks!
todd_636
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Re: New to all this.

Postby Cralis on Sun 20 Sep 2020 13:48

todd_636 wrote:Well, sort of new.

Welcome aboard sir!

Have 2nd edition, and Galatic, but never really played. So, would like to start playing again and thought I would start with the newest rules. So is Solar Starfire the version I want? And this is the full, complete rules? The thing that is throwing me off is there is a bundle in the store which includes Solar and Ultra.

Each edition of Starfire has a unique flavor to it. Classic Starfire was created by David Weber and is based on the Starfire novels he wrote with Steve White.

Galactic Starfire was the first attempt to completely re-write the campaign system for balance, and really Ultra Starfire is the penultimate result of that effort. Ultra Starfire is designed for balanced gameplay and player-vs-player games. Basically, it is designed so that the player can choose almost any playstyle or option and have a fighting chance against other players.

Solar Starfire was designed for players and player-SMs who want to play a game and build a story. Essentially "player vs galaxy" type of games. The focus is less on balanced gameplay and more on the adventure of being an empire raging around the galaxy...

Assuming Solar here. There is a spreadsheet that can build ships? And where is that located? The download section is a 404 Error.

Right here in the forums, in the downloads section at https://www.starfiredesign.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=96

Lomn's Shipyard Spreadsheet is at https://www.starfiredesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=3295

I have the counters and maps from 4th. Is that all I need to get started? How many ships can one comfortable run once familiar with the rules? Anything else I should know to get started? Any tips?
Thanks!

Absolutely. But if you've been away for a while, I'd recommend that you download our Quick Start Rules over at https://www.wargamevault.com/product/213075/Quick-Start-Rules

This is a short series of simplified tactical rules and scenarios that is designed for teaching new players the basics of Starfire. It is based on the Solar Starfire rules, so the terminology you will read in the QSR is the same as the main set of rules.

We also have the Solar Union Navy Training Scenarios in the downloads section at https://www.starfiredesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=3166 Also based on Solar Starfire, and the Solar Starfire background history (which has not been written and released yet), it provides some scenarios to get you started.

Solar Starfire is currently best for players who want to play their own games, but will someday have some supplemental materials with the background histories and scenarios. We are also currently in the process of building the next version -- including rewriting some sections -- in order to vastly improve readability and usability by the players. We are hoping to have it out by the end of the year.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby todd_636 on Tue 22 Sep 2020 14:46

Thank you for all the information. Now to start reading.
todd_636
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby krenshala on Fri 09 Oct 2020 10:50

If you have questions feel free to post here or in our Discord ( https://discord.gg/yqdAhxY ). There are lots of folks willing to provide insight and answers.
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 13yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Solar Starfire