Rule question: Shield penetration vs. S on SS outer modules

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Rule question: Shield penetration vs. S on SS outer modules

Postby Antares on Mon 28 Dec 2020 16:33

Shields on SS outer modules can "wrap around" a bit... one third of non-facing shields on sides other than the one being attacked will count for additional shield strength. Therefore, an example SS with six outer modules, each with three S systems will have an effective shield strength of eight from any direction (3 + 5 other sides *3 shields each /3).

Let's say you have a weapon that is going to ignore 5 shields when it attacks.
1) Does it hit one shield system on the facing module, or
2) Does it take out one (or three?!) shield(s) on other modules, or
3) Does it bypass the shields on the target module and hit the next system on the module?

I can't find any kind of clarification on the interaction here.
Thanks!
Dave
Antares
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Rule question: Shield penetration vs. S on SS outer modules

Postby Cralis on Mon 28 Dec 2020 17:55

Antares wrote:Shields on SS outer modules can "wrap around" a bit... one third of non-facing shields on sides other than the one being attacked will count for additional shield strength. Therefore, an example SS with six outer modules, each with three S systems will have an effective shield strength of eight from any direction (3 + 5 other sides *3 shields each /3).

3) Does it bypass the shields on the target module and hit the next system on the module?

Thanks!
Dave

Ah, I think that I talked to one of you guys about this on the Starfire Discord server. Let me see if I can find what I said there...

D6.03.4 specifies that the core is protected by the shields of all other modules. It doesn't specifically cover penetrating or skipping weapons, but it does say that each point of damage either destroys 1 shield on the module struck or 3 shields from other modules:

"...either one shield system mounted in that module can be damaged or three shield systems on any combination of other modules can be damaged."

For the purposes of skipping, it should work the same way. When counting shields, 3 shields in other modules counts as 1 shield in the module struck. The only difference is that this doesn't destroy the shields, only counting totals for calculating skipping.

So for example, you have three outer modules: A, B, and C. Each module has 12 shields. Module A is struck by a skipping weapon, so it is considered to have (A) 12 + (B) (12/3=4) + (C) (12/3=4) = 20 shields the can be skipped.

Damage is per D6.03.4, as above.

Does that make sense? I think that I should add this to this rule in the next version...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Antares on Tue 29 Dec 2020 08:44

Cralis wrote:
Antares wrote:Shields on SS outer modules can "wrap around" a bit... one third of non-facing shields on sides other than the one being attacked will count for additional shield strength. Therefore, an example SS with six outer modules, each with three S systems will have an effective shield strength of eight from any direction (3 + 5 other sides *3 shields each /3).

Thanks!
Dave

Ah, I think that I talked to one of you guys about this on the Starfire Discord server. Let me see if I can find what I said there...

D6.03.4 specifies that the core is protected by the shields of all other modules. It doesn't specifically cover penetrating or skipping weapons, but it does say that each point of damage either destroys 1 shield on the module struck or 3 shields from other modules:

"...either one shield system mounted in that module can be damaged or three shield systems on any combination of other modules can be damaged."

For the purposes of skipping, it should work the same way. When counting shields, 3 shields in other modules counts as 1 shield in the module struck. The only difference is that this doesn't destroy the shields, only counting totals for calculating skipping.

So for example, you have three outer modules: A, B, and C. Each module has 12 shields. Module A is struck by a skipping weapon, so it is considered to have (A) 12 + (B) (12/3=4) + (C) (12/3=4) = 20 shields the can be skipped.

Damage is per D6.03.4, as above.

Does that make sense? I think that I should add this to this rule in the next version...

Yes, I wasn't satisfied with the answer and am agreed with what you said there, so I thought I would ask here.

I want to know how damage is resolved if the total effective shielding is greater than the number of Shields skipped, but the number of facing shields was less than the number skipped. In my example, is a shield on the facing side hit... or are three from other sides marked off (since the number of shields penetrated was more than just the one module could handle), or something else... perhaps a random shield somewhere on one of the outer modules? I guess you could also compromise and say that two shield systems are marked off in such a case... but then which two do you choose? Both on the facing side, the two nearest modules, random choice, etc.? I can come up with reasons that each of these can happen.

Thanks!
Dave
Antares
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Tue 29 Dec 2020 14:24

Antares wrote:I want to know how damage is resolved if the total effective shielding is greater than the number of Shields skipped, but the number of facing shields was less than the number skipped. In my example, is a shield on the facing side hit... or are three from other sides marked off (since the number of shields penetrated was more than just the one module could handle), or something else... perhaps a random shield somewhere on one of the outer modules? I guess you could also compromise and say that two shield systems are marked off in such a case... but then which two do you choose? Both on the facing side, the two nearest modules, random choice, etc.? I can come up with reasons that each of these can happen.

The rule very specifically says that each point of damage is resolved by either damaging a single shield on the struck module, or damaging three shields in any combination on other modules. It's your choice.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Antares on Tue 29 Dec 2020 15:32

Cralis wrote:The rule very specifically says that each point of damage is resolved by either damaging a single shield on the struck module, or damaging three shields in any combination on other modules. It's your choice.

Oh I get it... as long as the total strength is greater than the number of shields skipped, then it is just one hit and you resolve it just like any other hit. I was overcomplicating it. (Who would have thought?)

My thinking was that since the "full point" shield couldn't handle it, the "one-third point" shields might have to be hit since that is what took the total high enough... but... ok, nevermind... overcomplicating....

Thanks!
Antares
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Wed 30 Dec 2020 01:25

If you don't have three shields on the other modules, that choice won't be available...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Solar Starfire