N12 And Player Races

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

N12 And Player Races

Postby Mjorr on Sun 07 Feb 2021 21:47

How much of N12 in general, and N12.02 in particular, applies to a Player Race starting as LEL (K2.04.5.1)?

Michael
Mjorr
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Re: N12 And Player Races

Postby Cralis on Mon 08 Feb 2021 01:16

The rules don't directly address allowing a player to start as an LEL race, but we can offer some guidance. The first guidance being that N12 must be followed completely. The reason is that N12 models the transition from pre-HEL technology to HEL technology, and if you want to let a player(s) do that then they need to follow the process. We haven't turned this into a player "start" yet because we are unsure whether players would find this it interesting enough.

Unless you are Procyon (viewforum.php?f=56) and his family, of course. The fiction he wrote is well worth the read!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Mjorr on Tue 09 Feb 2021 20:56

My own interest is the desire to guide the development of a race from the earliest point that relevant decisions become possible, rather than jumping in at the beginning of EL 2 which is the standard player start.

So I think that I understand what to do: follow N12, and by extension Y7.02.7, as much as possible. This seems to be fairly straightforward, but one issue comes up that I think needs clarification.

If I start at Ind-2 and 20 LEL RP, which is right before the first major decision of which Tech Tree to open under N12.01.1, and start with 2000 PU, my race begins with 3 (SA) and 6 (RDS), as per N4.03.

However, further on in N12.02.1, it states that the race with gain 2 (SA) (at LEL RPs 50 and 100) and 5 (RDS) (at LEL RPs 25, 50, 75, 100, and 125).

So according to all of this, my race will begin EL 1 with 5 (SA) and 11 (RDS).

Is this correct?
Mjorr
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby krenshala on Wed 10 Feb 2021 19:46

I've played a couple solo games where my race started as LEL. You start with zero RDS or SA at Ind-2, only gaining them at the listed RP totals as you gain the 5 PR per month. It isn't explicitly stated, but I think the intention was that when the race reach HEL 1 they get the third SA and sixth RDS.
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 13yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Fri 12 Feb 2021 00:50

krenshala wrote:I've played a couple solo games where my race started as LEL. You start with zero RDS or SA at Ind-2, only gaining them at the listed RP totals as you gain the 5 PR per month. It isn't explicitly stated, but I think the intention was that when the race reach HEL 1 they get the third SA and sixth RDS.

Actually by the way the NPR start on N12 was originally designed, the intent was that they would build any additional (SA) or (RDS) as needed. The "gained technology" comes at an accelerated pace compared to researching it.

That said, we are considering alternate player starts for LEL and HEL 1 in the future. Because we try to have the same rules for both NPRs and players, we'll likely make some adjustments to N12 to accommodate both.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Solar Starfire