Quick Start Rules -- Questions and Updates

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Quick Start Rules -- Questions and Updates

Postby Cralis on Tue 09 Sep 2014 23:30

larsterkhan wrote:
SCC wrote:Yep and the only TM's in the QSR's are 2 and 3 so it's always one for spacecraft and 2 for bases, the only reason you're told to do the math is so that your not confused when you upgrade

I'm confused. The QSR's (Final on page 2) states: "Plasma Torpedoes add one (+1) to their ‘To-Hit’ number if used against bases." And as 0/3=0 I took it that Plasmas against bases had a final bonus of +1.

You are correct. The +1 bonus is just a bonus independent of the rest.

Still the QSRs rock. They make me very happy and kudos to all involved in their production. If I had one wargaming wish right now it would be for SDS to combine all 3 QSRs into one, convert the SUN Training Exercises and produce a version with Victory Point Games. I'd buy that just for nice laser cut counters to replace mine from 2nd edition. It could be the Federation Commander to Solar Starfire's SFB. Call it Solarfire.

Victory Point Games is no longer an option, they've pretty much closed shop to anything they aren't personally publishing. We are working on another option, if you remember we are in the process of learning to do counters with another printer... as an aside, we are very close to the final. Working on the "cut sheet" that tells the laser where to cut the counters and it should be done.

We didn't combine the QSR's because they were designed to be done one at a time at a game shop or home game with new players. However, we have discussed doing a "pocket book" style version at some point in the future. Especially if this new printer works out...

thesmith4 wrote:I actually have a word document that has all three rulesets combined into one product, and organized in a fairly useful way (at least, I think it is).

I could post it to googledocs and let everyone take a look at it, if there's some interest. It is not my work of course, just a reorganization of the existing rules, which are the intellectual property of SDS.

I'll see what Daz and the others say about organizing it. It is more than just combining the rulesets since each version includes the counters needed to play. If there is really that much interest in it, we could do that. I have resisted that simply because I don't want it to become a new version. We are already working on re-releasing the first edition...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby thesmith4 on Wed 10 Sep 2014 17:35

Cralis, I think I sent you a version of this. I'll hold off on posting it on googledocs until you give me the say-so.
thesmith4
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Wed 10 Sep 2014 23:44

thesmith4 wrote:Cralis, I think I sent you a version of this. I'll hold off on posting it on googledocs until you give me the say-so.

We are talking about doing a combined QSR with the same formatting and style that Daz uses. I don't think you will need to :)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby TimE on Thu 18 Dec 2014 21:21

1 question If I'm reading the rules right it takes a ship 1 movement point to enter a warp point, then another point to exit so 2 movement points gone can it still keep moving with whatever points it has left or is it done for that phase.

2 question data link explains what it is but not how it works. If I have 3 ships linked do they use one dice role for all three for to hit purposes or do they still role separately.

Thanks in advance for your response
TimE
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Thu 18 Dec 2014 22:09

TimE wrote:1 question If I'm reading the rules right it takes a ship 1 movement point to enter a warp point, then another point to exit so 2 movement points gone can it still keep moving with whatever points it has left or is it done for that phase.

2 question data link explains what it is but not how it works. If I have 3 ships linked do they use one dice role for all three for to hit purposes or do they still role separately.

Thanks in advance for your response

#1 I'll leave for folks better able to explain it other than to say, I believe (but may be mistaken), that you pay a MP for entering and leaving a WP hex, not the WP itself.

#2 You would roll dice for each ships weapons systems separately. Data link just allows you to fire more than a single ship at a time, everything else remains the same.

Welcome to the forum! :)
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby krenshala on Thu 18 Dec 2014 23:16

C4.01.3 and C4.01.4 are the relevant rules for the first question.

My understanding is that you spend 1 MP either to enter the WP hex, or while already in the hex, and you can transit on the current or any subsequent movement pulse (table C2.03). A ship that is transiting appears on the other side of the WP (effectively) instantaneously so all movement points they had remaining at the time they made transit are still available.

e.g., a ship with 6 movement points is one hex from the WP. As its first movement it enters the WP hex and declares it is going to transit immediately. Its next movement point would be spent to move from the WP hex in the other system, leaving 4 more movement points to spend.

Please note the fact that no ship can transit more than once in a single turn, even if they are different warp points (it is highly unlikely, albeit possible, for multiple warp points to exist in the same tactical hex; they still count for this rule).
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Fri 19 Dec 2014 02:18

TimE wrote:2 question data link explains what it is but not how it works. If I have 3 ships linked do they use one dice role for all three for to hit purposes or do they still role separately.

The rules for using datalinks and datagroups are located at [E6].
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Vandervecken on Sun 21 Dec 2014 05:23

Cralis wrote:The rules for using datalinks and datagroups are located at [E6].

TimE wrote:2 question data link explains what it is but not how it works. If I have 3 ships linked do they use one dice role for all three for to hit purposes or do they still role separately.

Any needed rules for Datalinks used in the QSR (Quick-Start Rules) should not reference the full Solar Starfire rules, eh ??

So, per the reference in the Advanced QSR, it seems to suggest that for the QSR, only 2 ships may be linked. Is this intentional to keep the complexity down? I have no problems with that, a doubling of firepower is still very handy. So if a "datalink pair" (The only reference to number of ships allowed to datalink in the QSR) is the best you can do while playing the QSR Scenario's, that is fine. But if you want to allow more ships to do so, such as in Voidstalker_WoE's question above where he talks about 3 datalinked ships, more rules will need to be added.

The same goes for when Krenshala states: C4.01.3 and C4.01.4 are the relevant rules for the first question. Going into the Solar rules to explain something in the QSR, should never happen. If another line or two is needed for clarification in the QSR, so be it. I'm still thankful that Procyon and the SDS staff got the QSR Rules done, my kids, nephews/nieces, friends, and my bro-in-law all experienced Starfire for the first time using the QSR.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Cralis on Mon 22 Dec 2014 02:05

Vandervecken wrote:
Cralis wrote:The rules for using datalinks and datagroups are located at [E6].

Any needed rules for Datalinks used in the QSR (Quick-Start Rules) should not reference the full Solar Starfire rules, eh ??

Didn't realize these were in reference to the QSR. I thought this was a reference to the real AppAA.Z rules. Everything needed for the QSR scenarios should be in the QSR rules.

So, per the reference in the Advanced QSR, it seems to suggest that for the QSR, only 2 ships may be linked. Is this intentional to keep the complexity down?

Yes.

I have no problems with that, a doubling of firepower is still very handy. So if a "datalink pair" (The only reference to number of ships allowed to datalink in the QSR) is the best you can do while playing the QSR Scenario's, that is fine. But if you want to allow more ships to do so, such as in Voidstalker_WoE's question above where he talks about 3 datalinked ships, more rules will need to be added.

Right. We don't want to do that for the QSR.

The same goes for when Krenshala states: C4.01.3 and C4.01.4 are the relevant rules for the first question. Going into the Solar rules to explain something in the QSR, should never happen. If another line or two is needed for clarification in the QSR, so be it. I'm still thankful that Procyon and the SDS staff got the QSR Rules done, my kids, nephews/nieces, friends, and my bro-in-law all experienced Starfire for the first time using the QSR.

I'm pretty sure he didn't realize that this was in reference to the QSR either. We just failed to read the topic header (or at least, I did). I was just skipping through the most recent posts and answering questions without looking. That's my fault.

Going back to the original question and keeping it within the QSR:

TimE wrote:1 question If I'm reading the rules right it takes a ship 1 movement point to enter a warp point, then another point to exit so 2 movement points gone can it still keep moving with whatever points it has left or is it done for that phase.

No. As per the QSR Final WP transit rules, paragraph 2, sentence 2: The ship that transisted that MP will be placed on the map in the same hex as the WP...

In other words, you expend a MP to enter the WP but you end up in the same hex as the WP on the map without expending any more MP. All movement is normal from that point forward, for that unit.

In the full Starfire rules (all versions, in fact), your ships will actually start on the "map" on the far side of the WP. When they spend that MP to enter the WP, they travel through the WP and come out on the map on the other side. Typically the "other side" is the one where you are having the combat.

For the QSR Final we simplified it so you don't have to worry about the map you came from. You just end up on the combat side of the WP after traveling through.

As per the QSR Advanced, datalink works in pairs (two ships). But yes, as per the first rule, all datalinked units fire together in a single roll of dice.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby mcb1968 on Mon 22 Dec 2014 22:13

"As per the QSR Advanced, datalink works in pairs (two ships). But yes, as per the first rule, all datalinked units fire together in a single die roll."

So does that mean they fire at one time and roll for each weapon of a type, or roll one die for all weapons firing in an all or nothing roll?

If my 2 DD's are datalinked, and one has 4 R and 2 L, and the other has 4 F and 2 G, I roll one die to determine to hit?
mcb1968
Commander
Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Solar Starfire