Problem with W7.02.2

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Problem with W7.02.2

Postby SCC on Sun 22 Sep 2013 15:30

I forgot to check this rule when I was rolling up my system earlier and was going over it now when I noticed a problem.

This is the rule that turns a planet into an AB when a WP is too close, but I've noticed a problem the rule is based upon the AB being the same distance from the star as the planets orbit, both in LM, but the distance from the for WP is measured in sH and you can't convert sH into LM in this sort of case
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Problem with W7.02.2

Postby Cralis on Sun 22 Sep 2013 15:58

SCC wrote:I forgot to check this rule when I was rolling up my system earlier and was going over it now when I noticed a problem.

This is the rule that turns a planet into an AB when a WP is too close, but I've noticed a problem the rule is based upon the AB being the same distance from the star as the planets orbit, both in LM, but the distance from the for WP is measured in sH and you can't convert sH into LM in this sort of case

Yes, you can. From one sH to another sH is 12 LM. Since all distances are calculated from the CENTER of the star, that means that planets at (WP sH Dist * 12 LM) are torn into AB.

So a WP at 3 sH will destroy a planet at 36 LM orbital distance.

A WP at 10 sH will destroy a planet at 120 LM orbital distance.

All the way out to a WP at 30 sH will destroy a planet at 360 LM orbital distance.

I've already created an example for this for the next version because someone else emailed and asked me about it a month or two ago.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby SCC on Sun 22 Sep 2013 16:43

Cralis the sH=12 LM defines how big a sH is, not where something inside it is located.

Secondly since I posted that question I've been doing some thinking and the WP would be located in the middle of the sH, so the actual formula would be (WP sH Dist -1) * 12 LM + 6 LM
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby olivertheorem on Sun 22 Sep 2013 17:18

But if a sH is 12 LM across, then the distance from the center of one to the center of another is also 12 LM. Measuring from the center of the star, Cralis' math works. A WP that is 3 sH out from the star is in the center of that third sH, making it (12*3)=36 LM from the star.
olivertheorem
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sun 22 Sep 2013 17:38

If you take a sH as a vector, then the distance from the star also tells you where something is located within the sH. The same works on the center-of-sH-to-center-of-sH principle as well.

The reason we measure from the center of the star is that some planets are destroyed by the largest star types. If we started from the edge of the star, then our model would be incorrect.

I can try and draw up a diagram if you think it would help...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Mon 23 Sep 2013 03:54

As long as it's destroying a planet at the exact distance. as the wp the rule works fine. What happens with a wp at 1-2 sH where you may have multiple orbitals in the hex?
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Elminster on Mon 23 Sep 2013 04:11

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:As long as it's destroying a planet at the exact distance. as the wp the rule works fine. What happens with a wp at 1-2 sH where you may have multiple orbitals in the hex?

You don't convert all planets in the hex of the WP. You calculate the distance of the WP in LM and look if there is a planet. For example, a WP in sH 2 is at the (2*12 LM =) 24 LM orbit, so only a planet on exactly this orbit is turned into an AB.
In memory of Gary Gygax
In memory of Leonard Nimoy
In memory of Christopher Lee

In memory of Albert Einstein
E = MC^2 + 1d10
Elminster
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby SCC on Mon 23 Sep 2013 05:26

Elminster wrote:
AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:As long as it's destroying a planet at the exact distance. as the wp the rule works fine. What happens with a wp at 1-2 sH where you may have multiple orbitals in the hex?

You don't convert all planets in the hex of the WP. You calculate the distance of the WP in LM and look if there is a planet. For example, a WP in sH 2 is at the (2*12 LM =) 24 LM orbit, so only a planet on exactly this orbit is turned into an AB.

Actually I think it's with +/- 1 LM
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Elminster on Mon 23 Sep 2013 05:33

SCC wrote:
Elminster wrote:

Actually I think it's with +/- 1 LM

No, W7.02.2 states: When a WP forms in the same orbit (LM) as a planet, ...
In memory of Gary Gygax
In memory of Leonard Nimoy
In memory of Christopher Lee

In memory of Albert Einstein
E = MC^2 + 1d10
Elminster
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Return to Solar Starfire