Play-by-email Forum Game

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Play-by-email Forum Game

Postby Lomn on Sun 01 Jan 2017 21:27

Cralis wrote:
Lomn wrote:But in this particular case, I had to track that for Vand, that WP wasn't going to be found unless he re-ran an Open survey.

This is what I zeroed on. It sounded like Lomn said that Vandervecken wasn't going to detect any missed Open WP unless he did another Open WP Survey, which isn't correct. He can do any more difficult level of survey and still detect the missed Open WP.
(just to make sure we're super-duper clear)

For normal missed WPs, this is how I ran things and there are no particular record-keeping issues. The problem is strictly when using the random events from App GG, which has an event that specifies handling a single missed WP in a manner counter to all other practice. It's not a flaw, just an example of where even fairly mundane-appearing random events can create extra work for the SM.
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Whitecold on Thu 05 Jan 2017 15:50

Is anyone else potentially interested in joining?
For those who would like to join, I have a mixed bag of questions:

-What kind of start would you like? Default start, or something else? Would you like to start as human, or rather alien races?

-Would you like reduced number of T/ST worlds for making the map more open/ prime real estate more valuable?

-Would you like any slowdown of construction/research/growth?

-Insofar would you like NPRs to follow more extreme strategies in ship design/policy vs following a more balanced but boring approach?

-I proposed some idea to make IU more interesting interesting in response to a tweak proposed by Cralis. Would you like to try something like this out?

-There's been talk about possibly more complex/layered PD, would you be interested in including this? (Link)

-One thing I was missing in Lomns game was knowing who else knew who, and how they were to each other, making it hard to form a coherent diplomacy. (Your two friends might hate each other, or your target might be allied with your friends) How would you like to handle interstellar diplomacy?

-Random events, yes or no?

-Anti-ESF rules, what do you prefer?

-What is your opinion on the hot topics of squadrons and ground troops?

-Do you plan on writing any fiction for your faction?

-Is there anything you'd like house ruled, any optional rule you would very much like to include?
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby thebard on Tue 10 Jan 2017 04:19

Just to say : sorry, but I havn't got the time even to think about your list, yet alone to play a game.

In my previous reply I said "Yes, I'd like to play". I maintain this : I'd like to play, but realistically I don't have time . . . . .

Hope you get a game going.
thebard
Commander
Commander

Postby misanthropope on Tue 10 Jan 2017 10:19

hi WC

i don't care about the starting conditions. humans, custom designed bug eyed monsters, EL 2 or 20. what i care about is as follows:

needless complexity kills games, and IMO the core rules of the game have been bloating rapidly since Elite was published. any place you want to add any complexity you should be crystal clear on the balance issue you are addressing. no to random events, dont hate em but not close to worth the hassle. no a thousand times no to anything that makes ground combat more allegedly-interesting. all that crap does is make conquering NPRs that much more unpalatable an alternative to sitting on one's butt and waiting for the almighty trade treaties to roll in.

there is unmistakably a balance issue with squadrons, in the degree that gunboats rofl-stomp ships. maybe you reduce gunboats HTK by a percentage (40%?) maybe you delete squadrons from the game completely, maybe you do nothing at all and let the players fight it out. anything more complicated than that is just going to invoke the law of unintended consequences. which brings up my second major concern

if the GM is winging it and/ or issuing errata on a regular basis, it isn't a game, it's a story. a characterless, plotless, extremely slow story. game play is adapted to the rules, not the other way around. kind of the difference between a strategy game and a role playing game, you know? for ex, i decide on turn 0 that i think plasma torps are clearly the superior LRW, i spend 50 turns (that is, two years of real time!) evolving towards a PT based fleet concept and start steamrolling the galaxy and you step in at that point and go "whoa, plasma is too good, let's make it do less damage", we have a very tricky fairness question to resolve, right? now, weapon balance is the last place a situation like this can originate, but do you know where things like this come from _all the time_? custom rules.

slowing down research is a bad idea, IMO. reducing income i can sympathize with but i feel you need to be especially sure you know what you're doing. colonization isn't really the problem, it's the huge trade payday that so effectively discourages combat.

if your players are passive, bean-counting fetishists, the game is going to sit and fester until it collapses under its own weight- and slowing down the rate of growth only serves to drag it out. if your players are writing little stories, there's far, far too little simulated mass murder going on, is my view :)
misanthropope
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby Whitecold on Tue 10 Jan 2017 12:32

As far as time go, only you can judge this, thebard. I don't expect it will be any faster schedule than Lomn managed.

I don't plan to release much erratas. If there is some update of the Solar rules, we might switch over, but if it is too complicated/breaks something, we may well not.
As far as GB goes, the idea is to make them either interesting, or leave them out entirely. Nerfing them to be useless for sure doesn't bring anything.
The plan would be to do some test battles for smcft in the first few weeks (max SL X, with Y MCr total value) and then issue maybe one round of changes depending on how it went.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Pete Keller on Sun 12 Feb 2017 10:52

Whitecold wrote:Is anyone else potentially interested in joining?

I would like to join.

Whitecold wrote:For those who would like to join, I have a mixed bag of questions:

-What kind of start would you like? Default start, or something else? Would you like to start as human, or rather alien races?

Default start, T/ST race ... not necessarily human nor humanoid.

Whitecold wrote:-Would you like reduced number of T/ST worlds for making the map more open/ prime real estate more valuable?

No.

Whitecold wrote:-Would you like any slowdown of construction/research/growth?

Yes - not the 10:1 that Cralis is talking about, maybe 2:1 or 3:1.

Whitecold wrote:-Insofar would you like NPRs to follow more extreme strategies in ship design/policy vs following a more balanced but boring approach?

Doesn't matter to me.

Whitecold wrote:-I proposed some idea to make IU more interesting interesting in response to a tweak proposed by Cralis. Would you like to try something like this out?

I would like to try your IU rules

Whitecold wrote:-There's been talk about possibly more complex/layered PD, would you be interested in including this? (Link)

the layered PD sounds interesting, I would like to try it.

Whitecold wrote:-One thing I was missing in Lomns game was knowing who else knew who, and how they were to each other, making it hard to form a coherent diplomacy. (Your two friends might hate each other, or your target might be allied with your friends) How would you like to handle interstellar diplomacy?

Sounds like a case for espionage.

Whitecold wrote:-Random events, yes or no?

Sure, as long as you (as the SM) keep it somewhat balanced. I was in a New Empires game where I got 3 game-wrecking random events in the first year, I was about 2 years behind everyone economically after the 3rd year, and one person received 3 game-winning REs. It was still fun, I was able to talk my way out of most jams, until I ran into the super-lucky race. I was ~EL3, he was EL7+, he knew he had about 2EL on everyone, and like the rest, I was toast.

One kid slowed him down, he sent a message drone thru a warp point and followed it with his ship. The super-lucky guy followed with his entire fleet ... right into a black hole :twisted: . Don't worry, his other fleets were large enough to kick our butts.

Whitecold wrote:-Anti-ESF rules, what do you prefer?

If we limit the funds, there should not be enough units to create an effective ESF.
If we do not limit fleet sizes, we should have some kind of an anti-ESF rule, I just haven't researched them enough.

Whitecold wrote:-What is your opinion on the hot topics of squadrons and ground troops?

don't care

Whitecold wrote:-Do you plan on writing any fiction for your faction?

probably

Whitecold wrote:-Is there anything you'd like house ruled, any optional rule you would very much like to include?

None that I can think of.

Just make sure the spreadsheets are LibreOffice compatible, I do not have MS Office at home.

Pete
Pete Keller
Midshipman 2nd Class
Midshipman 2nd Class

Postby eoghantodd on Wed 15 Feb 2017 14:01

I salute your efforts. I was very excited to run a game and did get about 7 turns in or so a few years ago before a car wreck pretty much knocked me offline for about a year and a half.

I'm curious what spreadsheet for players you are considering?

I find the ground combat rules arcane and all the moving parts are intimidating; I'm sure a very very close read flipping back and forth would make it all make sense but it's a big hurdle. I'm catching up on the Gunboat/Fighter issues as I haven't played or messed around that deep into the tech trees.

I work from home now and my hands work to type now so I'm intrigued and interested.
eoghantodd
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby olivertheorem on Wed 15 Feb 2017 19:41

Glad to see you back!
olivertheorem
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Wed 15 Feb 2017 20:59

eoghantodd wrote:I find the ground combat rules arcane and all the moving parts are intimidating; I'm sure a very very close read flipping back and forth would make it all make sense but it's a big hurdle. I'm catching up on the Gunboat/Fighter issues as I haven't played or messed around that deep into the tech trees.

If it helps, at least you don't need to worry about it in the beginning of the game. Ground combat and later technologies are something you can tackle as you encounter them.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby eoghantodd on Fri 17 Feb 2017 18:56

Yeah I've learned to ignore rules systems that aren't germane until I need them and then they tend to make sense in context with other things.

I'm actually setting up a game with friends from my regular game group here in Portland; got people who were excited. I've written up a basic campaign rules cribsheet only containing what they need to know, and will introduce things as needed. I plan on doing a lot of hand holding to begin with; asking 'what do you want to do?' and helping make the choices that accomplish that. So far I have five players. I cut the Gordian knot of universe generation this week so have that going for me.

I also have a race of my own figured out if I do play.

Now just trying to track down some of the old supplements in book form for ideas.
eoghantodd
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Solar Starfire