Play-by-email Forum Game

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Play-by-email Forum Game

Postby Cralis on Sun 08 Oct 2017 22:42

VoidStalker_WoE wrote:I'm still above ground and kicking, so looking to run some fleets and inflict all the damage that I.... Er, offer a decent non AI opponent during some tactical battles, lol. :lol:

I am badly in need of a computer check on Vassal playing nicely with win7, so any help would be appreciated greatly.

The Advance After Combat guys at https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepodc ... ter-combat are building a Vassal module for Starfire. While they are focused on 3rd edition Starfire, I've been invited to see a few of their games and I think that the module could be used for pretty much any edition of Starfire. It's pretty cool too, they have graphics to mark shields up or down, streaming atmosphere, and all sorts of other indicators. As soon as they get a public version I plan on promoting it here on our forums.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Xveers on Mon 09 Oct 2017 03:32

OOhhh sweet. Can't wait for em to be ready! :D
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Tue 10 Oct 2017 12:50

Cralis wrote:The Advance After Combat guys at https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepodc ... ter-combat are building a Vassal module for Starfire. While they are focused on 3rd edition Starfire, I've been invited to see a few of their games and I think that the module could be used for pretty much any edition of Starfire. It's pretty cool too, they have graphics to mark shields up or down, streaming atmosphere, and all sorts of other indicators. As soon as they get a public version I plan on promoting it here on our forums.
Awesome!
Xveers wrote:OOhhh sweet. Can't wait for em to be ready! :D
Me either, lol.
VoidStalker_WoE
Captain
Captain

Postby Xveers on Tue 10 Oct 2017 20:51

Aye~ I'm glad that there's going to be a new, proper VASSAL module. I made a thing for Tabletop Simulator, but VASSAL is the proper tool.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby eoghantodd on Mon 06 Nov 2017 19:56

While we're waiting for the next turn results, I'm curious <without attempting to gain unfair information> how folks go about naming planets and systems? Numbers/letters to make them clear, names to give them some personality, or some mix? Right now I'm working on a naming convention that makes sense, although with some variability so they seem more organic.
eoghantodd
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Xveers on Mon 06 Nov 2017 20:48

My usual schema is as so:

Star System Name-Binary/Trinary component, Orbit, moon

So you'd have for example:

Falke Star System, planet 2, moon 3
Falke 2-III

Another Example:

Gagarin system, secondary star, fourth planet
Gagarin-B 4

Colonized worlds, especially shirtsleeve planets get their own name that can ignore this schema entirely.

Grant System, Dave's World
Dave's World
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Lomn on Tue 07 Nov 2017 14:21

My schema:

[system #] [component A-D] [planet #] [binary planet A-B] [moon I-V]
or
[system #] [component A-D] [planet #] [binary planet A-B] [ring A-E]
or
[system #] [component A-D] [belt A-I]

so 4324-A 1 II is moon 2 of planet 1 of stellar component 1 of system 4324
and 4324-B B is the belt 2 of stellar component 2 of system 4324

The idea behind numbered planets vs lettered belts is to resolve how you count a mixed system. Take ours:

H V T B Ast G
Is Jupiter planet 5 or planet 6?

Or worse, something like this:
V Ast Ast
Which one is belt 2?

So by saying up front that only planets are numbered (and never skip), and only belts are lettered (and never skip), those weird cases get ironed out. Ditto numeral moons vs lettered rings.

So that's what I've built into the universe generator I've never quite finished coding (got to the system linking algorithms and stalled out). The other thing I've done with that is changed Elminster's output format slightly so that there's a column for the name of each planet/belt by default, filled in with this schema, so that the default names are explicit rather than assumed.

And yeah, I give proper names where appropriate -- but the underlying ID remains intact, too. And for NPRs in particular, I grab kooky themes.

For example, the Idahoan Potatotentate. Each system was named for a county in Idaho; each major system body for a population center in said county.
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Tue 07 Nov 2017 14:45

Lomn wrote:For example, the Idahoan Potatotentate. Each system was named for a county in Idaho; each major system body for a population center in said county.

So that empire only has 4 or 5 populations???

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Previous

Return to Solar Starfire