General clarification questions

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: General clarification questions

Postby procyon on Mon 23 Oct 2017 22:26

Cralis wrote:Do they not build warships with their starting funds? Marvin's tactic with mothballing starts from turn 1.

We start with a bit less restricted starting funds (my one concession for the low incomes they will deal with as the game progresses) - so there is no required amount they have to spend on warships. You want a pip squeak fleet, you can have it. Just hope no one shows up because we have no '10 turn' rule in our games.
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby Whitecold on Mon 23 Oct 2017 23:23

procyon wrote:
Cralis wrote:Do they not build warships with their starting funds? Marvin's tactic with mothballing starts from turn 1.

We start with a bit less restricted starting funds (my one concession for the low incomes they will deal with as the game progresses) - so there is no required amount they have to spend on warships. You want a pip squeak fleet, you can have it. Just hope no one shows up because we have no '10 turn' rule in our games.

Also, mothballing your fleet may affect the dice used for rolling random events, and can attract berserkers, or colony fleets settling one system from you.

Generally I would aim to keep your active fleet constant as a percentage of your budget as goal to aim for. After a war you may well end up with excess ships you then don't need anymore.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Tue 24 Oct 2017 10:02

GunBunny wrote:Thanks for all the reply's, your examples certainly flesh out the options and reasons why. I can see where Marvin would mothball and take advantage of the Home system rule but its not my style.

Marvin is a power gamer, so it makes sense. And he's exceptionally good at it. I'm more of a roleplayer... I find it is more interesting. And it can pit you in challenging situations that aren't about maximizing monetary efficiency.

Question regarding building bases into crates for shipping (M5): According to the construction table to disassemble a unit it costs the cost of the hull, so if I build a base and then disassemble for shipping I would have to pay the hull cost twice? Or can you just build straight into crates for shipping?

I will have to look at the rules (I'm currently at work), but I think crates are for small craft. Prefabs are how you move bases around. Either way, you can build straight into prefabs and crates. I'll find the relevant rules later today.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Tue 24 Oct 2017 13:30

THe relevant rules are M2.03 Disassemble Large Unit and M3.03 Assemble Hull. Disassembly results in an unassembled hull plus uninstalled systems that were previously in the hull. Can be done with any hull except PDC, AF, and small craft (small crafte are crated M2.08).

Second paragraph of M3.02 Build Hull states that the hull can be built in unassembled form.

In previous editions of Starfire, this was called "prefabbed"
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Previous

Return to Solar Starfire