My Quick Rules Questions All in One Place

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: My Quick Rules Questions All in One Place

Postby eoghantodd on Fri 21 Apr 2017 16:52

Ahhh gotcha. I hadn't gotten that far for my player.

Well now I learned how to calculate tech item RP cost at least!

SQa isn't useless however, right?
eoghantodd
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Fri 21 Apr 2017 16:56

Whitecold wrote:One note, eoghantodd: sYa is an entirely useless item which you probably should not be developing. Only FQ and GB can actually mount sensors, they cannot be used on shuttles.

They can, however, be used on buoys and drones.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby eoghantodd on Fri 14 Jul 2017 17:19

So my game with my friends is going pretty well; everybody up to turn 12, busy exploring, colonizing, researching.

I'm having some issues with the spreadsheet as far as non-Terran life forms...getting it to recognize what is Benign and calculating max population correctly. I did manage to try writing in values in the reference tables and made it work but concerned that would break things. Is there something I'm missing as far as how they work?
eoghantodd
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Xveers on Fri 14 Jul 2017 18:46

The spreadsheet isn't technically designed to properly handle non-Terran life. It was something that was being worked on, but in my opinion that's something that would need Macros on some level. I had been building it towards that, but life kind of caught up with me, and Lomn did a fantastic job of cleaning it up and making it better, but also made it a bit more challenging for me to pick it back up again :(
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: unusual races

Postby Lomn on Mon 17 Jul 2017 09:09

So far as I know, all of the unusual race stuff is coded and working correctly without macros. However, I've not actually used it for game purposes, and so the testing isn't super rigorous.

If you want to check the work, go to the Reference tab, rows 36 through 128 -- that's the work for the habitability and max population of all seven races and lets you preview the results in advance.

Note that some cases are generic and some are specific: for instance, T races treat all G planets as Deadly, and so "G" with no mass or HI is sufficient to return the correct result. G-native races, though, have variability, and so "G" (or even "G2" or "G3", with mass added) returns "Unknown" -- it's only when enough data is specified to get to the G2-8 (type mass - HI) row that you get the actual data in those rows.

What specifically is a case that isn't working?
(Also, if you want to edit that region of the reference table, there shouldn't be any directly cascading effects -- nothing else uses that stuff)
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby eoghantodd on Mon 17 Jul 2017 11:05

So I don't see a column for mass... It's sticking at unknown as and overpop even with race home and HI set, and the data put in on a planet. I can manually change the max and it calculates, and if I dive into the "DO NOT CHANGE" page I was able to get it working for an H race, but H's don't have the variable of Mass affecting max pop...

I can do it manually I just wanted to see if I could make it work without having to absolutely be sure I've done it all.
eoghantodd
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Lomn on Mon 17 Jul 2017 13:58

Yep, that's the whole "lomn didn't test vigorously" thing. For Gas and Cold Gas races, "G2" and "G3" need to be added as planet types (simpler than actually coding a mass column since that's the only case where it matters.

To do that fix in Excel 2007+, do the following:
  • Planets tab, cell G5 (the first entry for planet class). Select cell.
  • In the Ribbon, go to the Data tab.
  • Go to Data Validation -> Data Validation (drop-down button with the same title in the drop-down list).
  • You should see in the "Source" row a list of "F, B, H, V, T, ..." -- all of the habitable body types. Add G2 and G3 to that list. Mine now looks like "...ST, G, G2, G3, I, ...", but put them where you want.
  • Select the "Apply these changes to all other cells with the same settings" button. This should highlight the rest of the planet class column.
  • Hit OK. Enter a G2 planet for a mass-2 G planet, etc. Works on my end.

I don't see anything that should present a problem for an H race. H planets will need an HI to kick out of Unknown, but everything else looks straightforward (generally, it's the same code running as for T and ST races, so unless the parameters are significantly different -- like the mass thing -- it should all work or fail together).

edit: oh, do you have the homeworld, native HI, and HI range defined on the Overview tab?
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby eoghantodd on Mon 17 Jul 2017 17:05

So I do have the Home Race info set, homeworld type, HI, HI range, and so forth.

SO when I select Data Validation, then Data Validation, I'm not seeing Source. But I'm using whatever Excel came with Windows 10. However you've pointed me far enough in the right direction I'm going to try and find Source now...

Edit: Ok figured it out! Needed to select, blah blah. It worked perfectly. Thank you!
eoghantodd
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby olivertheorem on Sat 02 Sep 2017 05:37

Piggybacking on this thread as I try (yet again) to start a solo campaign.

So, creating home system and rolling tidelocks. Mass 3 G planet with 4 total moons. Roll a 4 on the tidelock roll, so the first mB is tidelocked. Since 04 = 01+3, the mB is also a Big Moon. From table W6.04.2 and the associated note, this mB becomes a mT correct?
olivertheorem
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sat 02 Sep 2017 06:16

olivertheorem wrote:Piggybacking on this thread as I try (yet again) to start a solo campaign.

So, creating home system and rolling tidelocks. Mass 3 G planet with 4 total moons. Roll a 4 on the tidelock roll, so the first mB is tidelocked. Since 04 = 01+3, the mB is also a Big Moon. From table W6.04.2 and the associated note, this mB becomes a mT correct?

Yes, the roll of 04 (with a 5% chance) creates a big moon. Normally that would create a twin planet, not an mB, but since Type-G don't have twins they instead create a Type-mT moon as per note (a) on Table W6.04
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

PreviousNext

Return to Solar Starfire