How to get started with Solar Starfire

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

How to get started with Solar Starfire

Postby grondak on Tue 08 Aug 2017 17:14

I want to read the rules-- yet I think reading them straight through will surely put me to sleep.

My own idea: I could start with finding the same rules in Solar Starfire as in the QSRs and use them as a jumping-off point.

Do my new friends here have suggestions?
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Re: How to get started with Solar Starfire

Postby Moonsword on Tue 08 Aug 2017 18:14

It depends on what you're interested in. Personally, I'm having fun with the strategic side but you might start with section A-D to get most of the tactical rules. Individual systems are back in AA.
Moonsword
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Wed 09 Aug 2017 02:11

Try going to the SUN Training Scenarios at viewtopic.php?f=96&t=3166

Those are scenarios designed to be used with the full set of Solar Starfire TACTICAL RULES (A-G), but limited to early technologies. It should give you a starting point for learning the tactical rules without having to learn how to design ships first.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby nukesnipe on Wed 09 Aug 2017 11:41

Ditto what Cralis said.

As for the strategic rules, I'd recommend setting up as if you are going to play a full-on game (homeworld and 3 warp point), then just sandbox those four systems. Set up your economy and research infrastructure and get the hang of ship building and colonization without the worry of NPRs.
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Wed 09 Aug 2017 12:33

Yeah... hey nukesnipe. Do you think it would be neat to have a QSR for the strategic rules? It would have more than 3 pages (obviously), but it might make a neat stepping stone for new players to get into the strategy part of the game. What do ya'll think?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby nukesnipe on Thu 10 Aug 2017 07:13

Cralis wrote:Yeah... hey nukesnipe. Do you think it would be neat to have a QSR for the strategic rules? It would have more than 3 pages (obviously), but it might make a neat stepping stone for new players to get into the strategy part of the game. What do ya'll think?

Wow. Never thought about it, let alone have someone ask my opinion. A bit humbling....

The short answer is "yes".

I've been playing/studying (more study than play) Starfire since 1981. Individually, I love each part of Ultra/Solar Starfire. The simplicity of the tactical game; the flexibility of ship generation; the detail of star system generation, and by extension NPR creation; the exploration of those systems; the R&D rules.

But when put together in a 400 page rule book, it's scary as hell. Even to someone whose played every edition for 35 years.

So, yes, a set of QSRs or perhaps even tutorials. The rules have great examples, but they involve flipping through the aforementioned 400 page book. Something that walks a player through the initial setup of his home system, and then perhaps a bit of expansion and contact with an NPR would let someone see all the pieces in motion as they were intended. I think that could be very beneficial.

Very beneficial, indeed.
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Captain
Captain

Postby Moonsword on Thu 10 Aug 2017 11:07

Someone - Lomn, I think - put together an excellent tutorial for the first few turns off a Solar game, actually.
Moonsword
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Thu 10 Aug 2017 11:39

Yep I thought about Lomn's tutorial this morning, but I only just now got a chance to find it.

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=2563

"Ernie and the Earthlings" tutorial can be found at http://starfire.rochelle.name/tutorials
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby nukesnipe on Thu 10 Aug 2017 17:02

I'd forgotten about that.... :oops:
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Captain
Captain

Postby grondak on Fri 11 Aug 2017 18:50

That's a super-nice tutorial. Lots to read!
I like the idea of a QSR for the Empires portion. I will be glad to playtest it.
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Next

Return to Solar Starfire