Grab Bag Of Questions

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Grab Bag Of Questions

Postby coldsteel on Sun 20 Aug 2017 13:15

SCC wrote:#1, That makes games-rules sense, if not in-game sense. Of course you'd also need to figure out cost for the launchers. As for EDM's and planets, would interposing the DF of the missile do something, and I've got the nagging feeling I'm missing something here, and not just the times 3 damage for objects with no DF.

Look at it this way. Missiles firing at planetary installations are tracking on a specific point, not a moving emitted drive field. So, missiles targeted on planets would ignore an EDM because, to it, it's not a viable target.
TFN: 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby SCC on Sun 20 Aug 2017 14:14

procyon wrote:I think he is asking about the breakthrough to get generational hulls. You automatically get the alpha gen of hulls. So you can make a 30 HS DDa. But you have to make the breakthrough to make a 35 HS DDb.

At least I think that is what he is referring to.

Exactly. You don't research hulls, you prototype them, so how can you apply this breakthrough?
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby procyon on Sun 20 Aug 2017 16:15

You have to make the breakthrough before you start prototyping the generational hull. So if you haven't broken the knot for (b) hulls, you can't prototype your first 35 HS DDb. Or 14 HS ESb. Or any (b) hull until you make that breakthrough.
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby Cralis on Tue 22 Aug 2017 01:44

SCC wrote:
procyon wrote:I think he is asking about the breakthrough to get generational hulls. You automatically get the alpha gen of hulls. So you can make a 30 HS DDa. But you have to make the breakthrough to make a 35 HS DDb.

Exactly. You don't research hulls, you prototype them, so how can you apply this breakthrough?

Ahhhhh! Ok, that's actually something I identified a while ago that's kind of odd since we borrowed the original rules from Ultra Starfire. By the rules, if you prototype a hull then you prototyped all hulls prior to it. So the example shown in AA.CON.03, you see that prototyping the CA also prototypes the EX-CL (if they haven't already been prototyped). The rule for this is M1.03.4

So it is for the prototype progression of advanced hull improvements and types. Table Con.03 shows them in order and once you prototype one of the improvements, etc. all of those above it are available. The exception being bases, which are prototyped independently. This is fully explained in AA.CON.03 Prototypes

Now, generational hulls are explained in AA.CON.04.1 and says that you have to prototype the generational hulls separately from previously generations, but you do it once with the largest ship size available. So if your largest ship is a BB, then you prototype the BBb and that is now available for all ship construction in the future (even larger hulls).
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby SCC on Tue 22 Aug 2017 02:30

Cralis the question is (Was probably in light of procyon's answer) how do I apply a Breakthrough, which is a research activity, to a hull type, something that is prototyped and NOT researched.
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Moonsword on Tue 22 Aug 2017 07:20

There's a knot on the research item: "Hull Generation: {k} Basic Hulls (b)"

You apply the breakthrough to the knot, just like any other knot. The rules are in N11.
Moonsword
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Tue 22 Aug 2017 08:33

I guess I'm confused as to what is confusing. Knots are covered in the rules: any tech item, SL, or branch that contains a knot is unavailable for research until a breakthrough is successfully applied against it.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Previous

Return to Solar Starfire