Weapon Combinations

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Weapon Combinations

Postby SDTroll on Fri 02 Feb 2018 06:31

I'm curious about everyone's favorite starting weapon combinations. What do you like best and why?

Personally, I like F and Pt. I'm not sure I have great reasons, but I like F because the systems stay the same size making refits easy, and I like Pt because it leads to Pg, which are just fun.
SDTroll
Commander
Commander

Re: Weapon Combinations

Postby Cralis on Fri 02 Feb 2018 11:21

You should put that as your signature. "I like Pg because they are just fun." :lol:

I don't really have a favorite. I like to collect them all! Fir LRW I have probably started the most with R over the decades, and for SRW, I don't know if I could pinpoint a favorite. I rotate between E, F, and L.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby SDTroll on Fri 02 Feb 2018 15:49

On a related note, do you put the weapons you didn't pick into your breakthrough list and research them if you get them? On one hand, it seems like it would divert valuable R and D from other locations, but it would give you more flexibility. If I started with K, I'm thinking either R or Pt to get a system more useful for PDFs and bases.
SDTroll
Commander
Commander

Postby Pyrite on Fri 02 Feb 2018 16:34

In my most recent game, I started with Plasma Torps, but made a point to research Regular Missiles because they're much easier to fit on XO racks, and I felt better once I'd strapped one to each ship in my survey fleet.
Pyrite
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby coldsteel on Fri 02 Feb 2018 17:33

Pyrite wrote:In my most recent game, I started with Plasma Torps, but made a point to research Regular Missiles because they're much easier to fit on XO racks, and I felt better once I'd strapped one to each ship in my survey fleet.

I like this.
TFN: 1 BB, 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 11 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Commander
Commander

Postby SDTroll on Sat 03 Feb 2018 21:02

In my latest solo game, I've decided to go crazy and start with K and X-ray lasers. The race is a major science race, so I have them attempting breakthroughs on the rest of the weapons, just because they are curious.
SDTroll
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Mon 05 Feb 2018 02:46

While there are some clear opinions about certain weapons, and some weapons that work better with certain play styles, the neat thing about the weapon branches and balances since Galactic Starfire is that a player can pick almost any combination and have a chance.

That and the fact that different conditions make different weapon systems more or less powerful, a player won't always be able to rely upon just one weapon system...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Whitecold on Mon 05 Feb 2018 16:21

Pyrite wrote:In my most recent game, I started with Plasma Torps, but made a point to research Regular Missiles because they're much easier to fit on XO racks, and I felt better once I'd strapped one to each ship in my survey fleet.

Yeah, I like the plasma torps, but their XO filling is awful. Never mind that you may well end up with 5 spaces, which still only takes one torp. You can add an extra Mg, but you can't squeeze in more XO racks.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby nukesnipe on Tue 06 Feb 2018 12:51

I guess I'm kind of a Rocket Man. Perhaps it's because the first ship I served in was a CGN. I like the R-G-W progression, but I really like the generational progression of the R weapon tree.

I like the L system for its ability to ignore shields. If I need a brawler, I load it with F.
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Dawn Falcon on Wed 07 Feb 2018 16:17

Well, I usually RP races, but my personal preference is E and R, with enough research into L to get buoys armed with laser weapons. (for the obvious WP defense reasons)
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Next

Return to Solar Starfire