Quick Question about PDCs

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Quick Question about PDCs

Postby Metgyre on Sat 05 May 2018 08:07

Hey! Long time lurker. I've enjoyed reading pretty much everything here. I have yet to see an answer to this question (but maybe it was asked somewhere else):

Can PDCs be built on uninhabited worlds/moons? How about on non-colonizable worlds? Table L7.02 lists maintenance for Hidden PDCs/Silos on Airless moons/worlds/ast and references to E8.02, which says the same thing. I could not find any reference to PDCs anywhere else stating restrictions on where they could be built. But I could have missed them.
Metgyre
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Re: Quick Question about PDCs

Postby Dawn Falcon on Sat 05 May 2018 14:25

You're right, it doesn't seem to be specified.

Hmm.
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Whitecold on Sat 05 May 2018 16:02

Probably no one ever bothered to build them except on their colonies, or possibly the moons around a colony.
What exactly are you planning to do if you had a PDC in such a desolate place?
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Metgyre on Sat 05 May 2018 16:33

Well,first off, I've never really played past like 15 turns or so. So my ideas could be absolute crap. I'm setting up the Sol system with every object i can find 500km or larger. So the idea is to emplace PDCs and silos on the TNOs as a outer system defense and sensor network to help if anything ever comes in from outer system. I want the system to be basically one giant fortress. The idea really is more flavor than anything, I suppose.

But really, you could throw some facilities in it, like (RDS) or (SA) and have them be remote research outposts that are hardened and hidden. You could set up a series of hangars for an entire fleet that would be hard to detect. You could probably do a whole bunch, if you really sit down and think about it.
Metgyre
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby Dawn Falcon on Sat 05 May 2018 17:42

Whitecold wrote:Probably no one ever bothered to build them except on their colonies, or possibly the moons around a colony.

Currently the rules don't even seem to adequately cover PDC's on the moons of planets. Unless that's in the change list.
Cralis?
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Whitecold on Sun 06 May 2018 01:56

Metgyre wrote:Well,first off, I've never really played past like 15 turns or so. So my ideas could be absolute crap. I'm setting up the Sol system with every object i can find 500km or larger. So the idea is to emplace PDCs and silos on the TNOs as a outer system defense and sensor network to help if anything ever comes in from outer system. I want the system to be basically one giant fortress. The idea really is more flavor than anything, I suppose.

But really, you could throw some facilities in it, like (RDS) or (SA) and have them be remote research outposts that are hardened and hidden. You could set up a series of hangars for an entire fleet that would be hard to detect. You could probably do a whole bunch, if you really sit down and think about it.

Static defenses seem rather ineffective, as you have a total range below 10 LS, an enemy should be simply able to avoid engagement.
Sensors and hangars cannot hurt, but for fortifications, you need to place them at the WP where they cannot simply be avoided.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sun 06 May 2018 18:34

Metgyre wrote:Can PDCs be built on uninhabited worlds/moons? How about on non-colonizable worlds?

Let's just cut to the answer real quick for you: you can build a PDC on any planetary surface. But only on a planetary surface. (Asteroid Forts mention being built like PDCs, but they are a separate unit type with their own rules)

Table L7.02 lists maintenance for Hidden PDCs/Silos on Airless moons/worlds/ast and references to E8.02, which says the same thing. I could not find any reference to PDCs anywhere else stating restrictions on where they could be built. But I could have missed them.

Yes, and because of the Golden Rule we need to put a clarification. I think that it's always been assumed that players would understand that the "planetary" in PDC would tell you all you needed to know. What we will do is add something like the following to M6.02:

PDCs can be built on any hexside of a planet or moon.

Dawn Falcon wrote:
Whitecold wrote:Probably no one ever bothered to build them except on their colonies, or possibly the moons around a colony.

The reason nobody builds them in desolate locations is that they typically don't need a massive PDC for defense in those locations. However, the 3% maintenance rate is really good for a PDC that only mounts a (CC) and Yc. And they are harder to detect too.

Whitecold wrote:Static defenses seem rather ineffective, as you have a total range below 10 LS, an enemy should be simply able to avoid engagement.
Sensors and hangars cannot hurt, but for fortifications, you need to place them at the WP where they cannot simply be avoided.

Depends upon if he is roleplaying. I could see an early empire that previously had no knowledge of WPs would place stuff in the outer system just in case visitors came from deep space. Not every game has to be played as a competition. In fact, Solar Starfire is being geared more towards storytellers than competitive players.

Metgyre wrote:Well,first off, I've never really played past like 15 turns or so. So my ideas could be absolute crap. I'm setting up the Sol system with every object i can find 500km or larger. So the idea is to emplace PDCs and silos on the TNOs as a outer system defense and sensor network to help if anything ever comes in from outer system. I want the system to be basically one giant fortress. The idea really is more flavor than anything, I suppose.

And there is nothing wrong with flavor. In fact, I find that it makes the game more interesting.

What is a TNO?

Some facilities have requirements for that, and they take up a LOT of space in a hull, but you are correct. It's certainly possible to have remote research facilities. And you know how emperors LOVE to have remote research facilities cooking up the science for their newly hatched schemes...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Metgyre on Sun 06 May 2018 19:12

Yes, and because of the Golden Rule we need to put a clarification. I think that it's always been assumed that players would understand that the "planetary" in PDC would tell you all you needed to know. What we will do is add something like the following to M6.02:

PDCs can be built on any hexside of a planet or moon.

Awesome. And did my first post on the boards really just add a rule clarification to the game? I don't know how I feel about this.

Depends upon if he is roleplaying.

It''s definitely a roleplaying type thing. No wps discovered. No unified earth. I don't see why they wouldn't put stuff out there.

What is a TNO?

Trans-Neptunian Object.

And you know how emperors LOVE to have remote research facilities cooking up the science for their newly hatched schemes...

Indeed they do. In pretty much every story I've ever read.

Thanks for the answers! Now I can start figuring out how I actually want to implement them!
Metgyre
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby Dawn Falcon on Sun 06 May 2018 19:36

Metgyre wrote:Awesome. And did my first post on the boards really just add a rule clarification to the game? I don't know how I feel about this.

Honestly new players see stuff we people talking about Starfire all the time make assumptions about :D
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Metgyre on Sun 06 May 2018 19:53

Well, if you guys all now get ideas for this kind of thing, I'm happy to have been of service.
Metgyre
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Next

Return to Solar Starfire