Getting as much Rigelian information as possible.

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Getting as much Rigelian information as possible.

Postby Cralis on Sun 29 Jul 2018 01:17

southwestforests wrote:That's why I said stirring up conversation, not stirring up controversy. I want to remember at least one or two people commenting that they'd missed that detail.

Fair enough :) Maybe it's just a sign of the end times that I keep bumping into people where conversation = controversy. *sigh* Either that or I need new people around me...

But back to the Rigellians, I actually thought quite a bit about that. I've known a few color blind people who once in a great while would do something funny like put the absolutely wrong color on a graphic or wear socks that didn't match the pants or shirt (to be fair, in his case, I don't think he really cared though).

I couldn't help but wonder if a whole society of color blind people might have a collective incident like that. Even learning that light has different wavelengths might not mean anything to them at all. But even then, would they know that "white" would reflect the most heat and "black" would absorb it?

But for that matter, would a color blind alien even have the same fidelity in gray tones that a fully color blind human would have? We can't know that... it's possible that they can only see a few hundred or a few thousand different shades between white and black.

And that got me thinking even further. What about a race that sees only in the IR spectrum? UV spectrum? How about one completely different... sight by sound? I'm not even sure where to start to try and wrap my brain around how that might affect them culturally... could such a race even conceive of the concept of completely open space with distant objects between them? They would literally have NO ability to detect anything that isn't inside their own atmosphere...

Oy. Maybe I'm just too sleep deprived and my mind is running away with things I'm simply not "wired" to understand (so to speak)...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby southwestforests on Sun 29 Jul 2018 17:39

Cralis wrote:And that got me thinking even further. What about a race that sees only in the IR spectrum? UV spectrum?
That brings these videos to mind, at risk of going tangential here,

SUNSCREEN in UV, Physics Girl, Published on Jul 21, 2018, https://youtu.be/GRD-xvlhGMc
Length, 12:15

Only some humans can see this type of light, Polarized light is an unusual form of light. Can humans see when light is polarized? Physics Girl,Published on Jan 31, 2018, https://youtu.be/CSu0cV3fqi8
Length, 9:45

Monday, January 2, 2017
The Hidden Colors of Butterflies
Butterflies are known for their brilliant display colors, but did you know that these colors are even more complex than what we see? The tiny scales on butterfly wings are capable of reflecting ultraviolet light (UV), and their eyes are capable of detecting it with UV sensitive opsins.
By taking photographs of UV light, we can see some of these hidden patterns, and try to interpret the colors they might perceive.
I’d also like to clarify that the UV colors of butterflies are the result of UV reflectance, which is something entirely different than fluorescence
Want to learn more about how these colors are made? Butterfly scales are capable of producing structural coloration through interference mechanisms such as diffraction gratings.

http://thecolorstheysee.blogspot.com/

And that brings to mind this, part 2 goes in to the diffraction.
The Magic of Butterfly Scales - Part 1 - Smarter Every Day 104, SmarterEveryDay, Published on Nov 1, 2013
https://youtu.be/zsjyWg-Lhek
Length 6:23,
THIS IS A BUTTERFLY! (Scanning Electron Microscope) - Part 2 - Smarter Every Day 105, Published on Nov 29, 2013
https://youtu.be/LE2v3sUzTH4
Length 9:17

Cralis wrote:Oy. Maybe I'm just too sleep deprived and my mind is running away with things I'm simply not "wired" to understand (so to speak)...
With the brain fog which comes from a couple neurological and endocrine diseases which developed around 15 years ago now added to previous experiences of being healthy and sleep deprived, I get that concept with a far deeper understanding than preferred, oh well, such is life.
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Postby southwestforests on Sun 29 Jul 2018 18:04

As a novelty, and probably mentioned somewhere before, it could be fun to do a double-blind miniatures game with TFN player materials and miniatures printed and painted normally while the ones for Rigelian players are done only in greyscale.
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Previous

Return to Solar Starfire