PBEM

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

PBEM

Postby SDTroll on Tue 07 Aug 2018 17:02

With some trepidation, I'm posting this.

Is there anyone who would be willing to take a new player on a PBEM game? I have read the rules multiple times and have played a number of solo games, but have not played much with other people and I feel like I am ready to give it a try. I will probably make some mistakes and do some dumb things, but I'm willing to learn if you are willing to be patient with me.

Alex
SDTroll
Commander
Commander

Re: PBEM

Postby Vandervecken on Sat 18 Aug 2018 15:03

There was a PBEM game active (I think), maybe you could squeeze into that one as a NPR upgrade (Heehee) or to take over for someone who might not be able to play any more. New PBEM games are rare as the time a GM needs to run multiple players is a big, big task (especially after turn 50 or so). I wish you the best of luck finding a game to play, as it is quite FUN and nerve-wracking to play vs other human players.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby SDTroll on Wed 22 Aug 2018 07:21

Thanks. Hopefully I'll get in a real game someday. I know I'm learning bad habits playing solo, but it's still fun. :)
SDTroll
Commander
Commander

Postby nukesnipe on Wed 22 Aug 2018 12:25

SDTroll wrote:Thanks. Hopefully I'll get in a real game someday. I know I'm learning bad habits playing solo, but it's still fun. :)

No such thing as a "bad habit" when playing solo.

They are called "House Rules". :D
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Wed 22 Aug 2018 15:30

Heh, house rules. ;) I like to consider mistakes to be random events and make up story reasons for what happened.

Honestly, the biggest thing I had to get used to in a PvP game was the other players doing things that I wasn’t expecting. You jerks! :x
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Goose on Wed 22 Aug 2018 18:43

That's a bit like the first time I played GDW's Imperium with a friend after playing solo for years. He did something so unexpected but obvious that it totally changed how I played the game from then on...it was Awesome!!!
Goose
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby SDTroll on Thu 23 Aug 2018 20:58

My biggest worry is I'm not even aware I'm making mistakes. How NPRs go to war is totally confusing for me. It seems like it almost never happens, unless the player wants it to. And I still can't figure out how to defeat a planet full of PDCs. :D
SDTroll
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Thu 23 Aug 2018 23:59

NPRs go to war most of the time through war checks. Right after first contact is one. Badly failing negotiations is another. And unstable NPRs you just can’t predict. Plus there are a few super baddies who will never negotiate. Other than that, your right that it mostly happens due to player folly.

Right now the easiest method of dealing with PDCs is bombardment. That will change over the next couple of updates.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Xveers on Fri 24 Aug 2018 01:22

SDTroll wrote:My biggest worry is I'm not even aware I'm making mistakes. How NPRs go to war is totally confusing for me. It seems like it almost never happens, unless the player wants it to. And I still can't figure out how to defeat a planet full of PDCs. :D

Random events can also cause NPRs to go to war. "Unavoidable war" is a nasty random event. I've experienced it twice and it's sucked both times :D

Assaulting a well-defended planet with PDCs is a lot like taking a battery. "There ain't no good way". Basically taking a PDC boils down to either stripping its ability to maintain itself, or bombarding the PDCs to scrap. If you have the cash, mass Drone2 bombardments can open a crack in the defenses. Local space control you can assemble some BS in-system and tow them over to help siege the planet. The main problem is that the PDCs get a 7 hex range bonus. Best you'll be able to do to match is BS' 5 hex bonus, but overall it means that if you use ships, you're gonna take at least one turn of unadulterated fire.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby SDTroll on Fri 24 Aug 2018 20:03

Between the unlimited data link and the no blind spot we found PDC planets to be pretty much impregnable. I'll admit I'm still trying to get my head around APs, so that is probably part of it. Mostly the huge number of D on the PDCs that can coordinate fire plus the ability to fire as many shots as you have weapons available meant the PDCs just shredded everything coming at it.
SDTroll
Commander
Commander

Next

Return to Solar Starfire