Hardening & AP Build Task Size

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Hardening & AP Build Task Size

Postby Ged on Fri 24 Aug 2018 02:25

Hello! I have a simple question which I may be overthinking but I’m struggling with the logic of the rules when taken at face value.

AP build task sizes are defined in the “M4 Project and Task Table” on pg106 and are a value derived from the DP of the unit. Hardening (AP.01.7 - pg261) adds 3 DP per AP HS. My question is, does Hardening add to the build task size of AP? The Task Table implies that Hardening dramatically increases build task size but I’m having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that filling available AP HS with weapons, fire controls and sensors adds nothing to task size yet welding armor plating in the available space does.

Have I overlooked anything? Thank you to anyone who helps set me straight!
Ged
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Re: Hardening & AP Build Task Size

Postby Cralis on Fri 24 Aug 2018 17:55

Armor in Starfire is not “armor plating” because ablative impact weapons are relatively meaningless when shooting at a target with a drive-field. Armor is energy absorption, reflection, and mitigation.

Hardening is more than just adding armor, it is designing the AP with these systems integrated to make the AP able to withstand or mitigate more damage, and that’s why it is immune to skipping.

The build times are predicated on the typical stuff you will put into the AP. Hardening makes all of that more complicated. So yes, the DP does add to the project build.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Ged on Sun 02 Sep 2018 05:44

Thank you for the reply Cralis!

Here is the logic which led me to my incorrect conclusion:

Per “M4 Project and Task Table” a bare-bones Drone2 with no systems installed has a build task size of 4HS.
Take the same Drone2 and instead build it with XObx6 which can sling Rcax3 - build task size of 4HS.
Now build a Drone2 with Hardeningx4 and the build task size skyrockets to 16HS - the same as a more capable CT.
But wait, lets take the first bare-bones Drone2 and instead install/refit Hardeningx4 via the M4 "Install System Normal" (HS/4). This results in a total build task size of 7HS (4HS+12/4).

Dropping from 16HS to 7HS through refitting shenanigans drove me to the conclusion that the extra DP provided by filling the available AP HS with Hardening was not intended to impact build times - it was merely the end result of adding the system, much like adding weapons provides damage and sensors provide awareness. The passages below also influenced my conclusions while not specifically referencing Hardening.

AP.01 Designing AP Platforms – “Automated Platforms are selected like Smcft but outfitted with systems like Large Units. Their hulls are bought off the shelf like Small Craft and require that the empire building them has developed the particular AP hull it wants to use. They are outfitted with miniature, lower- powered versions of systems that are normally used in large spacecraft or PDCs.”

AP.01.1 AP Hulls – “Each type of AP hull has a fixed cost and a fixed number of HS. They are not required to fill all available space.”
Ged
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Cralis on Mon 03 Sep 2018 01:46

The bottom line is that M4 says that build time is directly derived from the DP of the AP. When it comes to the rules, that's all that matters. All of that was taken into account when that rule was written.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Solar Starfire