Squadrons & EMS/?c

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Squadrons & EMS/?c

Postby Ged on Fri 24 Aug 2018 03:06

In Solar Starfire terms, a squadron is defined as the following on pg6:
Squadron - A group of armed small craft which fight as a single unit.

The definition above can be applied to FQ, GB, ast and ash. My confusion is rooted in the ambiguous use of the term "squadron" throughout the rules even when referencing unarmed small craft - the first paragraph on pg67 is a fine example. My question is what is what is a squadron as it pertains to G2.01 and G4.01 below:

G2.01 General Movement Rules on pg68: Once Squadron Engine Modulation becomes available they (i.e. squadrons) can perform engine modulation at the rate of 2 MP per -1 cumulative modifier, to a max of -2. (btw, I feel that this sentence should clarify that its referencing EMS or replace the word "perform" with "benefit from" or something similar)

G4.01 Ordnance Type on pg69: Squadrons gain Counter Engine Modulation as an inherent ability at the same time it is developed for ships. This improvement has zero cost and zero space, and is always the latest version.

Thank you for any insight provided!
Ged
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Re: Squadrons & EMS/?c

Postby Cralis on Fri 24 Aug 2018 17:29

Ged wrote:In Solar Starfire terms, a squadron is defined as the following on pg6:
Squadron - A group of armed small craft which fight as a single unit.

The definition above can be applied to FQ, GB, ast and ash.

That is only one part of the definition of squadron, the introduction to Section G has about ten more definitions. More importantly it says all smcft are treated as a squadron, even if just a squadron of 1. (sentence 2)

The only real squadrons are FQ and GB.

My confusion is rooted in the ambiguous use of the term "squadron" throughout the rules even when referencing unarmed small craft - the first paragraph on pg67 is a fine example. My question is what is what is a squadron as it pertains to G2.01 and G4.01 below:

G2.01 General Movement Rules on pg68: Once Squadron Engine Modulation becomes available they (i.e. squadrons) can perform engine modulation at the rate of 2 MP per -1 cumulative modifier, to a max of -2. (btw, I feel that this sentence should clarify that its referencing EMS or replace the word "perform" with "benefit from" or something similar)

It says “squadron engine modulation” and links to C8 engine modulation rules. It’s not an EMS, it’s a capability just like regular Engine Modulation so “perform” is accurate... it must be actively engaged and MP spent to use it. I’m honestly not sure how it is confusing.

G4.01 Ordnance Type on pg69: Squadrons gain Counter Engine Modulation as an inherent ability at the same time it is developed for ships. This improvement has zero cost and zero space, and is always the latest version.

I’m not sure what your question is.

[quoteThank you for any insight provided![/quote]

No problem! Thank you for a fresh perspective!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Ged on Sun 02 Sep 2018 06:17

Thanks for the reply Cralis!

It says “squadron engine modulation” and links to C8 engine modulation rules. It’s not an EMS, it’s a capability just like regular Engine Modulation so “perform” is accurate... it must be actively engaged and MP spent to use it. I’m honestly not sure how it is confusing.

My apologies as I should have posted the entire section as it refers to the EMS tree [AppAA-?] enabling squadron engine modulation at at SL-9 with Cost-0 and Space-0 listed. I don't see how this can be interpreted as anything but EMS. Here is the unedited section:

G2.01 General Movement Rules on pg68: "Once Squadron engine modulation becomes available [AppAA-?], they can perform engine modulation [C8] at the rate of 2 MP per –1 cumulative modifier, to a maximum of –2, but cannot use DeTuning [C9]."

My question was also poorly worded - I was attempting to ask if squadrons of ast and ash also qualify for the benefits bestowed by G2.01 and G4.01 as they are armed small craft fitting the definition.
Ged
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Cralis on Sun 02 Sep 2018 23:19

Ged wrote:Thanks for the reply Cralis!

My apologies as I should have posted the entire section as it refers to the EMS tree [AppAA-?] enabling squadron engine modulation at at SL-9 with Cost-0 and Space-0 listed. I don't see how this can be interpreted as anything but EMS. Here is the unedited section:

G2.01 General Movement Rules on pg68: "Once Squadron engine modulation becomes available [AppAA-?], they can perform engine modulation [C8] at the rate of 2 MP per –1 cumulative modifier, to a maximum of –2, but cannot use DeTuning [C9]."

It specifically states Engine Modulation. If it was EMS, it would have been called EMS. The reason it is part of the EMS tree is because EM is ALSO part of the EMS tree at SL 3. Large units don't get it from the beginning either.

My question was also poorly worded - I was attempting to ask if squadrons of ast and ash also qualify for the benefits bestowed by G2.01 and G4.01 as they are armed small craft fitting the definition.

No. Other small craft are covered under C8.03
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Solar Starfire