ast/ash Ordnance & HS

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

ast/ash Ordnance & HS

Postby Ged on Fri 24 Aug 2018 03:24

Are ast/ash in any way modular or customizable with regards to their ordnance? Can active systems be placed in their available hull space or is it intended purely for the transportation of cargo and personnel? I had a tough time finding any reference which supported the two sentences highlighted below on pg69.

G4.02: "Shuttles, depending on type, may be slowed by external ordnance carried.

G4.03: "Armed smcft, like fighters and gunboats, may have internal ordnance mounts. Unlike external ordnance, internal ordnance is installed during construction (must be recorded on completion) and can only be changed by refit."

Thank you to those willing to enlighten me!
Ged
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Re: ast/ash Ordnance & HS

Postby Cralis on Fri 24 Aug 2018 15:01

No. ast and ash do not have IO (internal ordnance) or XO (external ordnance) mounts. They have a permanent ast gun system built into them. The weapon is intended to provide limited ground fire.

Think of it like the door mounted machine gun on a transport helicopter. Would you ask “can I put the GAU-10 Avenger Canon there instead?” Obviously the mount is not designed for those kinds of weapons.

Both of those rules remain so when we do add a non-squadron smcft that does have an IO or CO mount, we don’t have to remember to add the rules back.

There are a handful of rules in the book that don’t affect anything... yet. But you might be able to glean something of the future if you can find them!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Ged on Sun 02 Sep 2018 05:54

Thanks for the reply Cralis!

You've established that ast and ash lack both IO and XO mounts - how about the available 1HS and 2HS respectively per Table G5.01? Can those spaces be refit in any fashion? I'd love to throw some sY on my shuttles but my gut tells this is also a nonstarter.
Ged
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Cralis on Mon 03 Sep 2018 01:16

Ged wrote:Thanks for the reply Cralis!

No problem! :D

You've established that ast and ash lack both IO and XO mounts - how about the available 1HS and 2HS respectively per Table G5.01? Can those spaces be refit in any fashion? I'd love to throw some sY on my shuttles but my gut tells this is also a nonstarter.

sY and other similar systems use IO and XO mounts (see Table G4.01). The space inside of shuttles is only for cargo. Right now there are zero non-squadron smcft with any kind of IO or XO mounts. That may change in the future.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Solar Starfire