Economic spread sheet

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Economic spread sheet

Postby StarTytalan on Fri 03 Jul 2020 12:08

I used the Excel spreadsheet for GSF and loved if but the SSF one might be better? I have a problem there no real directions on using it that I can find. Lots of this page does this and these are the things being worked on but I can seem to find a simple you start by doing this or even a printed example of entering a empire. For example the GSF one had a turn zero sheet that walked you thru it also explains what needed to link the turns. Either I’m completely missing this or it’s missing either way can you help me?
StarTytalan
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Re: Economic spread sheet

Postby Whitecold on Fri 03 Jul 2020 12:30

Have a look here at Lomn's spreadsheet with some nice macro functionality to update your turns.
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=3295

While not directly connected to the spreadsheet, Ernie's Earthling tutorial nicely walks you through the start of creating an empire: http://starfire.rochelle.name/tutorials/empire-creation
Whitecold
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby StarTytalan on Fri 03 Jul 2020 14:59

I got his spread sheet but his documentation doesn’t go into the use at all. A simple step by step out line would be enough but as it is you have to do trial and error to figure out how to use it.

Made Hundreds of systems and empires that not the problem
StarTytalan
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby Xveers on Sat 04 Jul 2020 03:05

What kind of a to-do would you like? plugging data into the spreadsheet, running/managing a turn, something else?

Let me know. I'm sure that I can whip something up for you :)
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby StarTytalan on Sat 04 Jul 2020 13:04

If you can give me a basic to do list for starting up and using the spreadsheet I would be grateful. Once I get that I can play with it a while so I know what I’ll need to do for my Access/Excel Database/Spreadsheet combo for generating a galaxy. I know I’ll need excel for generating the systems to be inputted automatically into the access database but I want to play with the economic spreadsheet so I can print up a NPR and do it’s economics
StarTytalan
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby Antares on Sat 04 Jul 2020 19:03

Something else that might be nice is to know which fields on the various sheets must be updated when a change on another sheet is updated. IIRC, things like leader names, race name, system names, fleet names, etc. that are listed one way on one sheet and another on the other can cause incorrect calculations that are used for reference purposes.
Antares
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby Xveers on Sat 04 Jul 2020 21:24

It's kind of funny that about a year ago I asked if there was interest in doing a quick video walk through of the spreadsheet, but there wasn't a lot of interest.

Guess that means there's interest now :) Let me do some playing around, I might be able to get something done up tomorrow or maybe Monday. Be advised that it'd probably be a pretty uh... rough youtube video, but it should work nicely for purposes.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Lomn on Mon 06 Jul 2020 06:31

I have a brief overview document that should be packaged with the spreadsheet.

Separate guide download available here (Google Drive link)
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby StarTytalan on Mon 06 Jul 2020 14:21

Lomn it’s great documentation and yes it comes with the download but as a start by entering this in this tab than do this not so good. You need a basic step by step even if it just point by point. I could probably figure it out by playing with it I do know excel and have written macros myself but part of the reason I started this post is there’s a lot of people who would love to use this for there game but are end users not programmers. I want to set up things for a online game using this spreadsheet but if I can’t give my players a basic to do list this is basically useless. I love the work don’t get my wrong.

What is needed is a step by step run thru otherwise your just going to loose people in the confusion.
StarTytalan
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby Skarn on Mon 06 Jul 2020 17:53

I have a question in a similar vein; apologies for the hijack. :oops:

I'm using an older version of Excel that can't handle the depth of function calls in the SSF spreadsheet.

I do, however, also have OpenOffice which can open the spreadsheet (it takes about 10 minutes to convert), so I was wondering if anybody has had success with using it that way? I'm a bit hesitant to go in blind, since my old 2E universe generator (Excel v4 vintage) did NOT work well when I tried to let OpenOffice convert it several years ago.
Skarn
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Next

Return to Solar Starfire