Survey Ship Timing

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Survey Ship Timing

Postby SDTroll on Mon 13 Jul 2020 14:54

A question came up in a test game. It turns out two different systems have newly discovered warp points to the same system for a single empire. Both are being probed on the first STMP of a new turn. Both probing ships have Ya. The odds on them finding each other are virtually nonexistent. The empire has a light speed communication system set up with freighters carrying the message back and the system being probed is 2 WPs from the home system. What kind of response delay would be expected? By SOP both survey fleets would enter the new system and being WP surveys on the second STMP. Would they still do that, then be able to respond based on orders on the third STMP? Would they gather normal points for the ships on that STMP, or lose some due to accidental duplication of effort? Would they just lose the second STMP while the confusion is sorted out, then respond for the third STMP based on orders?

How would this change with no communication system in place so the CFN has to carry the probe results back to the home system?
SDTroll
Commander
Commander

Re: Survey Ship Timing

Postby PracticalM on Tue 14 Jul 2020 14:08

What are you using the response delay for?
By P7.02 order generation takes 1d10 hours

For the chance for survey ships to find each other use the V2 rules. You are right that without Yc ships finding each other is very low.

Habitable planets will change that as ships will probably head to a habitable planet for survey operations. Ships hanging around the entry WP will matter as well. I usually build courier ships that sit at the WP waiting for communications, or to take over communications so my survey fleet can leave the system.

For strategic communications look at the P section to get the combination of tight beam or omni directional communications back to the ICN.

Take a look at each empire's SOPs for communication. They should have their communication strategy included.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby SDTroll on Tue 14 Jul 2020 14:29

Thanks, I missed the rule for order delay. So with light speed communication there would effectively be no delay on a strategic scale. (Yes, there are communication ships in place.) It turns out the system has an HEL NPR, so everything changed anyway. :)
SDTroll
Commander
Commander

Postby PracticalM on Wed 15 Jul 2020 14:16

Perfect opportunity to play the two exploring empires against each other.
Good luck.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby krenshala on Fri 24 Jul 2020 19:54

I think its two survey fleets for one empire enter the same system from different WPs.

I feel bad for the local empire, though ... they've got a two front war against one enemy (assuming shooting starts).

For the delay, remember light lag is 12 minute per system hex or 6 hours per StMP, on top of the d10 hours at the Homeworld for new orders to be generated. then the 6 hours per StMP back. At 2 StMP from the Capital, it would be d10+12 hours, for orders to be generated, plus another 12 hours for them to get back to the two fleets.

If they are both surveying, they are both capable of generating survey points. Since its at worst two days for the survey fleet to learn the other fleet is there (through new orders), I wouldn't really worry about that part of it.
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 13yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Solar Starfire