Ground Combat

A place for all those house rules and custom campaign ideas from the players.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Re: Ground Combat

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Mon 23 Jul 2012 18:34

That makes more sense. Just flat pack the cryo units.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby TerryTigre on Mon 23 Jul 2012 20:00

procyon wrote:
AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:cramming 50,000 colonists into 8,000 cubic meters.

It takes 10 Qv to hold a PTU.
A PTU is 50,000 colonists.
So a Qv at 8000m3 hold 5000 colonists.

That's about one and a third cubic meters per colonist. Which is still tight, but doable.

I have adjusted the main article to take that into account. 8/5 is 1.6 m3 however.
Status: 26 types of tech system. Working on fleet tactics. Added b generation weapons, including G, Gb. Possible to give Ships Movement Orders. Working on SysGenV2
TerryTigre
Captain
Captain

Postby procyon on Mon 23 Jul 2012 20:04

I meant two thirds. ;)

:D
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Mon 23 Jul 2012 20:37

Okay, I can see the volume lining up a bit better. Still not sure it adds up for GCV's though. 200 tons in 800m3 sounds a bit high unless you have ultra dense armor. Remember that most of your volume is air or lighter weight components.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby TerryTigre on Tue 24 Jul 2012 09:32

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:Okay, I can see the volume lining up a bit better. Still not sure it adds up for GCV's though. 200 tons in 800m3 sounds a bit high unless you have ultra dense armor. Remember that most of your volume is air or lighter weight components.

Um. In case of starship systems transported by cargo, most of it isnt going to be air. If only full size systems were to be transported, there is no way a full size H can transport 10 full size H. So obviously some form of compression has to occur. Fortunately, in the case of H that is quite possible, as they are mostly empty space with support to handle the cargo better and store it more economically.

This is how i get to 2000 ton / 800 m3.

Now in the case of non squashed systems this is 2000 ton / 8000 m3, which implies a lot of air/lighter materials.

As personel has to operate the systems, maintain them, walk through them to get to other sections, etc this amount of air is certainly justified.

Also note that each weapon etc is modular, and independently powered. Thus powerlines are likely to be short, just linking up to the next system on all sides, to provide a energy grid of multiple independent power sources, just the thing a warship needs to keep operating after combat damage.
Status: 26 types of tech system. Working on fleet tactics. Added b generation weapons, including G, Gb. Possible to give Ships Movement Orders. Working on SysGenV2
TerryTigre
Captain
Captain

Postby TerryTigre on Tue 07 Aug 2012 05:31

Well, the rules arent quite finished, but let me present an Scenario anyway...

Last Man Standing (Outpost Delta)

After a revolt, some powered infantry marines were cut off. Can they withstand furious alien assaults until relieved?

Start with 5 Mcr worth of Powered Infantry (at least 10 Soldiers). Any SL 5 or less equipment/weapons can be chosen. No vehicles or more than 1 recharger can be chosen. The one recharger may be a heavy duty one. The suits must have at least 24 Hrs Battery life. Each 1 Kg Ammo is enough for 6 turns (of 10 minutes each) firing.
The Marines have 2D6 + 6 turns (of 10 minutes each) worth of battery power left. Suits with battery life larger than 24 hrs, add 1 active turn for every hr battery life is larger than 24. Roll once per soldier to see how much active turns remain. If not active on a given turn (neither shooting or moving or hand to hand) roll D6, on a 1-5 it did not count as an active turn for battery power. Once active battery power is gone, the suit can no longer move or fire, but it will have its remaining personal hits, and it does count as a surviving soldier for the reinforcements roll.

The force will always be reinforced if there are at least 10 soldiers left alive on (turn 2D6 + 8). Soldiers in the base count double. With less than 10 soldiers alive roll D10, if it is lower than the number of soldiers left, then they will be reinforced that turn. So 2 Soldiers in the base and 3 outside means reinforcement on 1-7 on D10. Roll each turn for reinforcements, once you start rolling. If the reinforcements arrive then the marines win. The marines lose if all are killed, or exit the map. Marines who exit the map cannot return.

4 waves of 5 Mcr worth of Militia assault them.
Fire Team: 10 aliens with 1 La Hunting rifle each. 5 Fire Teams give 1 Squad. 1 Wave is 10 squads, so 500 Aliens/wave. They are at a speed of 6 Km/hr, so they can move 5 hexes/turn over plains. Some squads can have light body armor. Roll D6 for every squad the moment it comes under fire. On a 5-6 the squad had light body armor.

The 4 waves are from different city's. They were supposed to be coordinated, but their commander is lucky if he can get them all to move in the same direction on the same day...

Wave 1 comes from the North. They arrive on turn (D6-3). Turn 0 or lower means they set up on the map.
Wave 2 comes from the East. They arrive on turn (D6-3). Turn 0 or lower means they set up on the map.
Wave 3 comes from the South. They arrive on turn (D6-3). Turn 0 or lower means they set up on the map.
Wave 4 comes from the West. They arrive on turn (D6-3). Turn 0 or lower means they set up on the map.

Set up on the map can be in any border hex or hex ajacent to a border hex..

The map represents 5*5 Km with the base as center. Most of the terrain is rough. 200 m/Hex.

Code: Select all
    p  p  p  r  r  r  h  h  h  r  r  r  r  r  r  h  h  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r
     p  p  p  r  r  h  h  h  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  h  h  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r
    r  r  p  r  r  r  h  h  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  h  h  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r
     r  r  p  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  h  h  h  r  r  r  r  r  r  r
    r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  h  h  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r
    r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  h  h  h  r  r  r  r  r  r  r
    r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  h  h  h  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r
    r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  *  r  r  h  h  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r
    r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  h  h  h  r  r  r  r  r  r  p
     r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  h  h  r  r  r  r  r  r  p  p
    r  p  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  h  h  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r
     p  p  p  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  h  h  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r
    p  p  p  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  h  h  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r
     r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  h  h  h  h  r  r  r  r  r  r  r
    r  r  r  r  r  r  h  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  h  h  h  r  r  r  r  r  r  r
     r  r  r  r  r  h  h  h  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  h  h  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r
    r  r  r  r  h  h  h  h  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  h  h  r  r  r  r  r  r  r  r
r=rough p=plains h=hills *=base
TerryTigre
Captain
Captain

Postby rincewind on Sat 27 Oct 2012 09:19

I think you forgot to add arcs of fire. Turrets have to be installed to fire in 360 degreee arcs. Unless its supposed to already be part of the design.
If you can't get rid off it by sending the Three Stooges over to it's side, then don't bother with anything else. It's indestructible.

-A ThreeStooges fan
rincewind
Captain
Captain

Postby TerryTigre on Sat 27 Oct 2012 11:20

rincewind wrote:I think you forgot to add arcs of fire. Turrets have to be installed to fire in 360 degreee arcs. Unless its supposed to already be part of the design.

Well the ground units are based on ships, so any weapons are turret mounted unless they are too large for the vehicle to turretmount.

Judging by the Abrams, a 64 ton vehicle with a 22 ton tank (well at least in some variants), a weapon can be turreted if it weights 1/3 of the total weight.

Homing weapons like R do not need to be turretmounted.

Also note that land vehicles do not have a blindspot due to a Drive field...
TerryTigre
Captain
Captain

Postby rincewind on Sun 28 Oct 2012 09:54

Quick question on the personnal hits, P damage thing. I cannot find it mentioned anywhere how many personnal hits a point of P damage eliminates?
If you can't get rid off it by sending the Three Stooges over to it's side, then don't bother with anything else. It's indestructible.

-A ThreeStooges fan
rincewind
Captain
Captain

Postby TerryTigre on Sun 28 Oct 2012 22:48

rincewind wrote:Quick question on the personnal hits, P damage thing. I cannot find it mentioned anywhere how many personnal hits a point of P damage eliminates?

1 personal damage eliminates 1 personal hit.

The personal damage of weapons can be found in the first table. Troopers start with 3 personal hits, so with 10 troopers a squad has 30 personal hits.
TerryTigre
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to House Rules