Hiring CFN

A place for all those house rules and custom campaign ideas from the players.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Hiring CFN

Postby Whitecold on Sun 07 Feb 2016 05:13

I am thinking about a new campaign of my own, and just had another look at hiring CFN.
Currently you hire CFN for a month, regardless if you need the entire month of travel time. With the rebate the pricing goes:
    1 StMP: 0.5
    2-4 StMP: 1
    5 StMP: 1.5
    6-8 StMP: 2
I guess this is a holdover of doing strategic turns on paper. I will likely try out calculating costs per StMP instead, so 1 StMP uses 1/4 capacity and costs 0.25MCr/0.4MCr respectively. With getting rid of the colonization rebate, return rates are the same for 1/2 StMP distance, and lower beyond, as well as 0 StMP is a bit more expensive (still using 0.1 distance, but now without rebate, but then freight charges there are minimal anyway).
Higher speed CFN is faster, but costs 5% more per MP above 4.
This gets rid of several small issues, for one using speed 5 CFN at 5 StMP costs 1.25 and takes one month, speed 4 costs 1.5 and takes more than a month, which is not how freight charges usually work. Also it solves the issue of who pays for the rebate if you are hiring back your own freighters you put in the pool.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Hiring CFN

Postby Cralis on Mon 08 Feb 2016 15:09

Whitecold wrote:I am thinking about a new campaign of my own, and just had another look at hiring CFN.
Currently you hire CFN for a month, regardless if you need the entire month of travel time. With the rebate the pricing goes:
    1 StMP: 0.5
    2-4 StMP: 1
    5 StMP: 1.5
    6-8 StMP: 2
I guess this is a holdover of doing strategic turns on paper.

Not exactly. StMP is a product of doing things on paper, but it is just as good everywhere.

CFN use is tied to StMP increments for multiple reasons:
* undoubtedly some jobs will have extended wait times, especially colonization
* a single job may be one of several simultaneous jobs, especially if your job does not occupy the whole FT -- in fact, it is possible that it could have been split between multiple partially loaded FT
* some contracts may require you to pay for the haul time AND the unloaded return time, like would likely happen in colonization jobs
* and of course, anything and everything else we don't or can't anticipate.

That's why it's an estimate.

I will likely try out calculating costs per StMP instead, so 1 StMP uses 1/4 capacity and costs 0.25MCr/0.4MCr respectively. With getting rid of the colonization rebate, return rates are the same for 1/2 StMP distance, and lower beyond, as well as 0 StMP is a bit more expensive (still using 0.1 distance, but now without rebate, but then freight charges there are minimal anyway).

If you're going to do this, there are certain jobs where I'd make the empire pay for both the trip out AND back (at least back to the nearest population):
* colonization to a new world
* hauling goods to a non-populated location, such as hauling construction materials to the fleet and mobile shipyards building based on a warzone border six jumps out...
* basically any delivery where no other population exists.

Higher speed CFN is faster, but costs 5% more per MP above 4.
This gets rid of several small issues, for one using speed 5 CFN at 5 StMP costs 1.25 and takes one month, speed 4 costs 1.5 and takes more than a month, which is not how freight charges usually work. Also it solves the issue of who pays for the rebate if you are hiring back your own freighters you put in the pool.

I'll have to review the rules when I get home tonight to comment on this.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: Hiring CFN

Postby Whitecold on Thu 11 Feb 2016 07:48

I'm afraid I don't understand your points. All I intend to change is the pricing structure, so shipping something two times over 2 StMP costs the same as once over 4 StMP.
Larger jobs are still distribute over a month, small jobs arrive as soon as possible. (At least Lomn handled it that way. I could assemble prefabricated BS0 the same turn they were delivered)

Including downtime costs and similar would be a flat time increase on a job, a margin that is not included in shipping colonists over 4 systems for example.
Your argument about costs of return trips is true, however it is not included in the current default system either. In fact with the rebate, you pay a quarter of the 'real' cost to the CFN company for shipping colonists over 4 StMP.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Return to House Rules