Extra WP in home system

A place for all those house rules and custom campaign ideas from the players.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Extra WP in home system

Postby Pyrite on Thu 08 Feb 2018 20:08

So in my own game, I've just recently finished refitting my survey fleet with Xb, which really feels like the second major empire milestone after setting up my CC network.

However, I realized that by the book, I have no reason to ever re-survey my home system, as all the warp points in it are known, despite the fact that if concealed warp points existed in the home system, I wouldn't know about it until scanning with Xbs.

So we came up with a little house rule after reading through the system generation table that seems roughly fair: If you rescan your home systems, the primary system (which has 3 WPs out) has a 10% chance of having a WP that would have previously been hidden. The secondary systems have a 20% chance. And of course, if you find a warp point and convert the home system into a 4 WP system, then there's only a 1% chance for each scan after that, and the secondary systems go to 10%, then 1%

Of course, using this house rule I immediately found a concealed WP in my home system, and now it appears I've generated both a galactic oddity and an NPR. So that's going to be fun.
Pyrite
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Re: Extra WP in home system

Postby Cralis on Fri 09 Feb 2018 02:40

I like this idea. What I always did was roll the WP type but if you didn't find all three you would know there were more you couldn't find yet. IMO this is much better...

But do keep us updated on your game. We'd love to hear what you found and how you deal with it!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Dawn Falcon on Wed 14 Feb 2018 13:38

Pyrite wrote:Of course, using this house rule I immediately found a concealed WP in my home system, and now it appears I've generated both a galactic oddity and an NPR. So that's going to be fun.

Which is why by the book the rules say not to, of course, when it turns round and eats your home system :P
You're absolutely entitled to ditch it of course :)

(And always happy, as the author of the oddity rules, to hear experiences of them!)
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby SCC on Sat 17 Feb 2018 03:30

Actually, per the rules, you can have undiscovered WP in your home system:
"It is also strongly recommended that each home system have exactly three open warp points, although additional warp points that are not immediately detectable (and balanced between the players) will probably not cause a problem."
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Vandervecken on Sun 18 Feb 2018 03:21

This home rule of yours could easily become a nifty "Optional rule".
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Return to House Rules