Courier Drone Detection

Home of Classic Starfire, the 3rd edition of Starfire, based on the novels by David Weber, Steve White, and Charles Gannon.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Courier Drone Detection

Postby Caplin on Sun 26 Feb 2017 17:05

Hi All,

I've been rereading my copy of 3rd Revised, and become slightly confused by detection of courier drones. Table 04.05.01.3 seems to suggest they can't be detected at all without Xr. Is this the intended reading? I interpret this because of the "never," entry in the last column.
I feel like the sensor ranges without XR are very short in general. This is understandable, but it almost feels crippling. Do populations have any inherent sensor capabilities? This may be covered in ISF or SM2.

Thanks for any clarification :)
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Re: Courier Drone Detection

Postby southwestforests on Sun 26 Feb 2017 23:27

Talking from my awake at midnight headache here, it may be the situation that there are different sensor ranges for where a given sensor can discern that, yes, there is something; and a lesser range where it has enough resolution to discern things about that something.
And the smaller and/or less energetic that something, the shorter that range.
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Postby Caplin on Sun 26 Feb 2017 23:53

Yeah, I interpret the majority of that table as defining how Xr sees objects at different ranges. It doesn't seem to apply to inherent sensors, though. Ships can be seen at 6 SHHwith Xr, but only 30 TacHex without, if I'm reading the table correctly.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Mon 27 Feb 2017 10:11

I haven't played Classic Starfire in a long time, so I can't recall exact numbers. Ship's inherent sensors were limited to something like 30 tH but there was only Xr as the sensor improvement. It might be in third edition revised, or sky marshal 2, but populations had Xr automatically.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby coldsteel on Sun 30 Jul 2017 18:51

UTM has an updated sensor chart.
TFN: 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Return to Classic Starfire