Classic Unified Rules

Home of Classic Starfire, the 3rd edition of Starfire, based on the novels by David Weber, Steve White, and Charles Gannon.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Classic Unified Rules

Postby Caplin on Mon 27 Mar 2017 20:49

Hi All

I'm aware that at one point there was a project to make a unified 3E ruleset, which would combine all the info from 3rd Revised, ISF, and SM #2, among others. I don't want to stir up any sort of hornet's nest, I'm just wondering if there's any chance that project could be distributed?

I like the 3rd edition campaign quite a bit, but it would be nice not to have to look up things in several books. The Unified Tech Manual seems to make reference to some rules which are in the Unified Rules document, and it would be nice to have the full context for those, too.

Given that the SDS offers both the classic products and the UTM, I'd very much appreciate anything that could be done to get us the unified rules book as well.

Thanks much :)
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Re: Classic Unified Rules

Postby Cralis on Mon 27 Mar 2017 23:28

The Unified Rules are not available. I'm not even sure if it was ever truly completed. But it definitely is not available.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Caplin on Tue 28 Mar 2017 10:34

Cralis and all,

I'm told that the rules are 99% done, lacking only a proper table of contents.

I would very much like to have a copy, but not without getting official permission from Marvin and/or the SDS. Steve Walmsley, who informed me about the state of the rules, doesn't want to distribute them without that permission, and I respect that position.

Is their any chance it might be possible to obtain said permission? I have a legal copy of all the legacy products already, and this document would be used solely for my own reference.

I'd really appreciate any consideration :)
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Tue 28 Mar 2017 10:42

My understanding is that legally it cannot be distributed by anyone.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Caplin on Tue 28 Mar 2017 22:34

That's fair enough. I will muddle through with the rules as they currently stand, then. :)
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Postby aramis on Sat 08 Apr 2017 01:53

Cralis wrote:The Unified Rules are not available. I'm not even sure if it was ever truly completed. But it definitely is not available.

I recall being told that they were 95% done over on the delphi forums. But then the UTM came out...
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby coldsteel on Sun 30 Jul 2017 18:49

URM was only about 80% done, the UTM had nothing to do with the URM progress. I cannot comment further on that other than what Cralis said about distribution is 100% correct.
TFN: 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby aramis on Tue 01 Aug 2017 10:53

coldsteel wrote:URM was only about 80% done, the UTM had nothing to do with the URM progress. I cannot comment further on that other than what Cralis said about distribution is 100% correct.

At the time, the UTM was implied as being a part of the holdup, on the grounds that the unified rules would include the UTM.

Still, a unified 2E rulebook would be nice.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby coldsteel on Tue 01 Aug 2017 15:04

aramis wrote:
coldsteel wrote:URM was only about 80% done, the UTM had nothing to do with the URM progress. I cannot comment further on that other than what Cralis said about distribution is 100% correct.

At the time, the UTM was implied as being a part of the holdup, on the grounds that the unified rules would include the UTM.

Still, a unified 2E rulebook would be nice.

Yeah, no, that was NOT an issue. UTM was an easy drop-in to the URD. I cannot comment further than that.
TFN: 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Return to Classic Starfire