Energy Torpedoes (from Extremis)

Home of Classic Starfire, the 3rd edition of Starfire, based on the novels by David Weber, Steve White, and Charles Gannon.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Energy Torpedoes (from Extremis)

Postby Morpheus on Tue 13 Feb 2018 20:01

Does anyone know if Energy Torpedoes ever made it into the official rules? I just finished reading through Extremis and it seems like they are a further advancement (in some respects) of the Plasma Gun (Pg), but they definitely aren't Plasma Torpedoes (Pt) based on the description in the book.

The only place I've seen anything on Energy Torpedoes has been on Damon Bradley's site.

http://idahobeef.yolasite.com/starfire2.php
User avatar
Morpheus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat 29 Mar 2014 15:51

Re: Energy Torpedoes (from Extremis)

Postby Cralis on Wed 14 Feb 2018 00:21

Morpheus wrote:Does anyone know if Energy Torpedoes ever made it into the official rules? I just finished reading through Extremis and it seems like they are a further advancement (in some respects) of the Plasma Gun (Pg), but they definitely aren't Plasma Torpedoes (Pt) based on the description in the book.

The only place I've seen anything on Energy Torpedoes has been on Damon Bradley's site.

http://idahobeef.yolasite.com/starfire2.php


None of the Steve White/Charles Gannon books have been converted to Classic Starfire (yet), so none of the technologies have been created in the rules (yet).

They are not plasma torpedoes or plasma guns, which don't exist in the Weber/White/Gannon Starfire history. They are a pretty amazing weapons tech with the ability to switch between offensive fire, anti-small craft fire, and point defense fire...
Image
User avatar
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member
 
Posts: 10433
Joined: Tue 30 Jun 2009 19:27
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Energy Torpedoes (from Extremis)

Postby aramis on Thu 15 Feb 2018 15:15

Cralis wrote:
Morpheus wrote:Does anyone know if Energy Torpedoes ever made it into the official rules? I just finished reading through Extremis and it seems like they are a further advancement (in some respects) of the Plasma Gun (Pg), but they definitely aren't Plasma Torpedoes (Pt) based on the description in the book.

The only place I've seen anything on Energy Torpedoes has been on Damon Bradley's site.

http://idahobeef.yolasite.com/starfire2.php


None of the Steve White/Charles Gannon books have been converted to Classic Starfire (yet), so none of the technologies have been created in the rules (yet).

They are not plasma torpedoes or plasma guns, which don't exist in the Weber/White/Gannon Starfire history. They are a pretty amazing weapons tech with the ability to switch between offensive fire, anti-small craft fire, and point defense fire...

Sunds dangerously close to the TL 12 stuff from Nexus, really.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon 01 Mar 2010 00:42
Location: Eagle River, Alaska

Re: Energy Torpedoes (from Extremis)

Postby Cralis on Thu 15 Feb 2018 15:26

aramis wrote:Sunds dangerously close to the TL 12 stuff from Nexus, really.


Don't forget that Classic Starfire subscribes to the idea that every couple of tech levels something new comes around to disrupt everything. Steve White and Charles Gannon have done a beautiful job of following the canon and priciples like that. Not just with technology, but in how it affected the entire known universe.

Weber and White apparently mapped out abit of the history and these ground-breaking technologies. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, but it does put on the pressure to keep inventing new stuff to keep it going!
Image
User avatar
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member
 
Posts: 10433
Joined: Tue 30 Jun 2009 19:27
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Energy Torpedoes (from Extremis)

Postby Morpheus on Thu 15 Feb 2018 15:57

aramis wrote:
Cralis wrote:
Morpheus wrote:Does anyone know if Energy Torpedoes ever made it into the official rules? I just finished reading through Extremis and it seems like they are a further advancement (in some respects) of the Plasma Gun (Pg), but they definitely aren't Plasma Torpedoes (Pt) based on the description in the book.

The only place I've seen anything on Energy Torpedoes has been on Damon Bradley's site.

http://idahobeef.yolasite.com/starfire2.php


None of the Steve White/Charles Gannon books have been converted to Classic Starfire (yet), so none of the technologies have been created in the rules (yet).

They are not plasma torpedoes or plasma guns, which don't exist in the Weber/White/Gannon Starfire history. They are a pretty amazing weapons tech with the ability to switch between offensive fire, anti-small craft fire, and point defense fire...

Sunds dangerously close to the TL 12 stuff from Nexus, really.

How do I get my hands on Nexus?
User avatar
Morpheus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat 29 Mar 2014 15:51

Re: Energy Torpedoes (from Extremis)

Postby Cralis on Thu 15 Feb 2018 16:51

Morpheus wrote:How do I get my hands on Nexus?


Sometimes you can find one or more of the original magazines on ebay.

Right now they are available as img scans inside the Legacy Package or the Ultimate Starfire Package. We have a project slated for our republication efforts to created them an omnibus-style product to sell through War Game Vault. ETA is unknown right now, but it was an excellent suggestion and we are going to make it happen.
Image
User avatar
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member
 
Posts: 10433
Joined: Tue 30 Jun 2009 19:27
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Energy Torpedoes (from Extremis)

Postby Morpheus on Thu 15 Feb 2018 22:20

Cralis wrote:Sometimes you can find one or more of the original magazines on ebay.

Do you know which issue of Nexus they were in? I found quite a few issues on eBay, and I'd love to have paper originals.
User avatar
Morpheus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat 29 Mar 2014 15:51

Re: Energy Torpedoes (from Extremis)

Postby Cralis on Fri 16 Feb 2018 01:08

Morpheus wrote:
Cralis wrote:Sometimes you can find one or more of the original magazines on ebay.

Do you know which issue of Nexus they were in? I found quite a few issues on eBay, and I'd love to have paper originals.


I don't offhand, but I might have some time tomorrow to look through the images and see if I can spot something that resembles what he's talking about.
Image
User avatar
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member
 
Posts: 10433
Joined: Tue 30 Jun 2009 19:27
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Energy Torpedoes (from Extremis)

Postby Morpheus on Fri 16 Feb 2018 11:24

Cralis wrote:
Morpheus wrote:
Cralis wrote:Sometimes you can find one or more of the original magazines on ebay.

Do you know which issue of Nexus they were in? I found quite a few issues on eBay, and I'd love to have paper originals.


I don't offhand, but I might have some time tomorrow to look through the images and see if I can spot something that resembles what he's talking about.

Thanks! No rush but that would be awesome when you get a chance!
User avatar
Morpheus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat 29 Mar 2014 15:51

Re: Energy Torpedoes (from Extremis)

Postby coldsteel on Fri 16 Feb 2018 14:48

Cralis wrote:They are not plasma torpedoes or plasma guns, which don't exist in the Weber/White/Gannon Starfire history. They are a pretty amazing weapons tech with the ability to switch between offensive fire, anti-small craft fire, and point defense fire...


Um, Plasma Guns are in the White/Weber verse... The Arachnids...?
TFN: 1 BB, 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 11 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Commander
Commander
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue 14 Jul 2009 15:28
Location: Tulsa, OK

Next

Return to Classic Starfire

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest