The 12-hour System Turn, and other oddities

Home of Classic Starfire, the 3rd edition of Starfire, based on the novels by David Weber, Steve White, and Charles Gannon.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

The 12-hour System Turn, and other oddities

Postby Caplin on Thu 30 Aug 2018 21:45

I've noticed occasional references in 3rd Revised and SM #2 to what seems to be a 12-hour system turn. These don't seem to be mentioned in the errata documents anywhere, and are isolated enough I wonder if they were just missed.

06.02.04.1 If the defenders have been warned of the attack
by a picket, they add +1 to the activation number for each turn
or warning after the picket vessel or its warning courier drone
(27.04.01) comes through. The maximum warning bonus is +4.
Note, however, that no unit may remain active for more
than 36 hours (3 system turns) at a stretch. If no attack comes
in during that time, it will revert to normal readiness in the
fourth system turn following the picket’s return.

There are scattered references in the tech system descriptions to the 12-hour system turn as well, as in the section on PCFs.

I realize I can probably just wing this in actual play, but I'm curious. IF most people switched to 3rd Rev when it came out, did they play with 12 or 24-hour system turns? I presume that the 12-hour turn was the original 3rd edition scale. Were interception turns still 30 minutes, or was that changed as well?

The section on engine tuners leads me to believe that interception turns were possibly one hour, but that whole bit seems to have some strange math in it, to whit…

The Gorm may use It for up to four full interception turns
(480 tactical turns) per week without ill-effect; any other race
in the known galaxy may use It for only 15 tactical turns per
week. For each additional tactical turn in which a non-Gorm-
ish race uses It in a week, the personnel necessary to man one
internal system on the starship’s control sheet die and the sys-
tem becomes contaminated. (The owning player chooses the
system and draws a square around it on the control sheet to
indicate that it is inoperable for lack of crew rather than de-
stroyed. H, A, and B may not be used for this purpose.) For
the Gorm, one system worth of crew dies for every 10 tactical
turns over 60 they use the system in any one week. For this
reason, the Gorm continue to fit the system while most oth-
er races choose to use the required hull spaces for addition-
al weapons or defensive systems and, particularly since the
development of the strikefighter, to use fighters and ADM to
offset the Gormish speed advantage.

So… Which is it, 480 tactical turns or 60? :)

Thanks for clarifying some of this, it's largely academic curiosity, but I have a side which likes to know the official rulings.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Re: The 12-hour System Turn, and other oddities

Postby Cralis on Thu 30 Aug 2018 23:21

If I recall correctly, the original System Turn in 2nd edition Starfire was 6 hours long, and then it has been 24 hours for every edition since. SM#2 talks about 12 hour system turns, saying that it will probably be changed back to 24 hour system turns in SM#3, but I don't recall if it was actually changed in SM#2 or not.

So… Which is it, 480 tactical turns or 60? :)

Good question. It seems to be contradictory. The 480 tactical turns seems absurdly high given that everyone else can only use it for 15 tactical turns... the 60 tactical turns seems much better balanced. But that's just my opinion. I don't see anything official that says one way or the other...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Caplin on Fri 31 Aug 2018 10:32

Very interesting. :)

ISF makes mention of two system turns per day in a few places, implying that it was supposed to be 12 hours at the time it was released (1992?)

It would be nice to have a copy of original 3rd edition for comparison, but that's probably not available outside of Ebay. I'd love an accessible copy of the Stars at War as well, if only because I've been re-reading the SF novels. For that matter, I kind of wish they had written something set during ISW 1-3, it would have been fun to see the tech gradually develop.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Fri 31 Aug 2018 10:52

Caplin wrote:Very interesting. :)

ISF makes mention of two system turns per day in a few places, implying that it was supposed to be 12 hours at the time it was released (1992?)

Ah! I didn’t get a chance to check all of the editions, but it would make sense for ISF to change it to adapt to the strategic turn.

It would be nice to have a copy of original 3rd edition for comparison, but that's probably not available outside of Ebay.

We didn’t remake that document because 3rdR is what matches SM#2. But I can tell you that it lists the system turn as 24 hours. We didn’t change it in the tactical rules.

I'd love an accessible copy of the Stars at War as well, if only because I've been re-reading the SF novels. For that matter, I kind of wish they had written something set during ISW 1-3, it would have been fun to see the tech gradually develop.

David Weber did write something in the ISW 1-3 period. The Stars at War scenario book...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Caplin on Fri 31 Aug 2018 17:43

Thanks for the clarification. :)

I'd love to see a re-built version of the SAW scenario book at some point. Is that in the pipeline? I currently have the scanned copy from the SF CDs, but that's a bit harder to use as I have to do OCR on it. I love all the work that was done on Crusade, and have yet to pick up AD or First Contact, though I really should. I guess I'm a Starfire completionist, as much as I can be when I'm limited to electronic only. :)
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Sat 01 Sep 2018 01:22

Caplin wrote:Thanks for the clarification. :)

No problem :)

I'd love to see a re-built version of the SAW scenario book at some point. Is that in the pipeline?

It is! We ran into a couple issues with it, and we are currently working on the next SSF update, but it's on the list.

I currently have the scanned copy from the SF CDs, but that's a bit harder to use as I have to do OCR on it. I love all the work that was done on Crusade, and have yet to pick up AD or First Contact, though I really should. I guess I'm a Starfire completionist, as much as I can be when I'm limited to electronic only. :)

I'm that way too, so I totally get it.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Classic Starfire