Starfire III: Empires discussion thread

Home of the 1st and 2nd editions of STARFIRE

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Starfire III: Empires discussion thread

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Fri 08 Dec 2017 08:50

OK, now that I have a copy of Starfire III: Empires again, I'm going to be taking a very close look at it's rules and concepts. For those of you who remember my failure to master the rules of SSF back in 2014, I am making a run on the much simpler, original strategic starfire campaign rules, in the hopes to be able to get all this down pat, and provide a mass of threads that go into detail on just about everything in the rule book for SF III.

When I was trying to learn SSF, I eventually got around to making threads with titles like:

"Rule Clarification [K3.03.1]"
http://www.starfiredesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=2604&start=0&hilit=rules+clarification+k3+03
"Rule Clarification [K3.03.13]"
http://www.starfiredesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=2608&start=0&hilit=rules+clarification+k3+03
"Rule Clarification [K3.03.2]"
http://www.starfiredesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=2617&p=31236&hilit=rules+clarification+k3+03#p31236

"Rule Clarification [M]"
http://www.starfiredesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=2641&start=0&hilit=rules+clarification+k3+03

The idea was to do a focused discussion on a particular rule within the SSF system.

So now, after my failure to tackle a far bigger task, I'm stepping back in the ring, too take another swing, and this time I'm taking on a much smaller, far less intimidating opponent.

I plan to do threads for pretty much all the SF III: Empires rules, or at least any that I think need a look/discussion. Like before, I'm not going to be cutting/pasting blocks of the rules onto the board, but rather some text from them, and asking for clarifications and thoughts about them.

I don't know how to link to other threads here, so this might get messy unless someone can tell me how to edit in links to all the SF3 threads that I create, so they can come into this thread, lookup at a glance what has been covered and what not, and then either just click on the link, or create a thread of their own.

I would ask, that folks use the same format for their SF3 Rules Clarification threads as I (and a few others) previously did for SSF, to make knowing what contents one would expect to find within the thread easy and on target.

Thread listings:
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=3346

Forgot to add the second thread:
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=3347
Last edited by VoidStalker_WoE on Thu 28 Dec 2017 22:51, edited 3 times in total.
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Starfire III: Empires discussion thread

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Fri 08 Dec 2017 09:29

So, I'm going to try to cover as much of this games rules as I can cram in this weekend, unless I'm to busy actually playing, that is.
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Sat 16 Dec 2017 23:07

So, got distracted, and only did two threads for rules clarification. I have the prospect of getting some regular games in now with a reliable player, so if he likes the game and wants to explore the campaign setting set out in SF III: Empires I'll be happy to bring him up to speed. He may also have some friends that may decide to join us. I only have one of three wargaming friends that I feel might want to play regularly, but he may not have the time, and I have not heard back from him in over 2 months, so there is that, lol.

Anyway, I'm going to keep plugging away at this vassal thing, and see if I cannot get a decent group up and running.

I'm also thinking about starting a "House rules" thread for the first three games, so that folks that play them can post what they do to make things fun.
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Fri 29 Dec 2017 03:04

Actually, I'm just going to make house rules discussion threads about specific topics, for the Original game system, and try to link them up with the rule book that they most likely should be associated with. I'm thinking here of forming these threads titles something like this:

SF1 Original [House Rules = whatever specific topic]
SF2 Original [House Rules = whatever specific topic]
SF3 Original [House Rules = whatever specific topic]

So that folks that want to post their own/reply to my house rules can find them easily, and we can all look at what is out there.
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Fri 29 Dec 2017 05:18

Lol, so change 2000+, I'm going to take Cralis up on the suggestion to post these things in my own campaign section, so as not to cause all kinds of confusion.
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby jbanes on Tue 23 Jan 2018 14:28

Since this is a thread about Starfire III, mind if I ask a really dumb question?

What exactly is the difference between SFIII: Empires and SF: New Empires? Is New Empires basically the 2nd Edition version of Empires?

I see a few obvious differences off the bat. For example, you use the Imperial Star System Map rather than a strategic hex grid. Otherwise the materials seem to indicate that New Empires is just a refinement?

BTW, thanks to Cralis and co. for finally making Starfire III available!
jbanes
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby nukesnipe on Tue 23 Jan 2018 14:59

jbanes wrote:Since this is a thread about Starfire III, mind if I ask a really dumb question?

What exactly is the difference between SFIII: Empires and SF: New Empires? Is New Empires basically the 2nd Edition version of Empires?

I see a few obvious differences off the bat. For example, you use the Imperial Star System Map rather than a strategic hex grid. Otherwise the materials seem to indicate that New Empires is just a refinement?

BTW, thanks to Cralis and co. for finally making Starfire III available!

For the most part, yes. New Empires is the 2e implementation of SF3.
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby jbanes on Tue 23 Jan 2018 15:49

nukesnipe wrote:For the most part, yes. New Empires is the 2e implementation of SF3.

Ok, thanks for confirming! Wasn't sure if I was mentally sifting all this correctly or not. It can get rather confusing sometimes trying to figure out what products belong where. :)

Confusing names like "Starfire II" (actually an expansion for Starfire) and Starfire 2nd Edition (refinement and combination of Starfire I & II) raise all kinds of questions like, "Is GCW for first or second edition?".

There are days I think Starfire really needs a wiki... ;)
jbanes
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby Cralis on Tue 23 Jan 2018 18:28

Everything about Starfire is listed in our Introduction Page, except for the newest covers we made for republishing some of the older products. But those will be there shortly.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby jbanes on Thu 25 Jan 2018 08:59

Cralis wrote:Everything about Starfire is listed in our Introduction Page

Good point! I forgot about that page. (*facepalm*)
jbanes
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Next

Return to Original Starfire