So... who'd like to see Starfire I, II, and III in pdf?

Home of the 1st and 2nd editions of STARFIRE

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: So... who'd like to see Starfire I, II, and III in pdf?

Postby aramis on Fri 08 Dec 2017 21:33

VoidStalker_WoE wrote:
aramis wrote:Java works across platforms, but is clunky much of the time.
I wonder if it would be workable for things like shipyards and sysgen applications? Not something needed for when the game is going on, but for when your wanting to do the books. I just don't know about spreadsheets, and so find them to intimidating to even attempt to learn, lol.

I'm so glad to see the game being sold actively once again! Now I just need to get all of my buddies to go out and buy it!!!

Yes, it would. The hard part is picking the right cross-platform display library.

Pick the wrong one, and it's unusable on any... :cry:

Seriously, it's pretty well cross-platform... provided you grab the correct libraries.

You're going to want to target 4-6 environments.
windows X
MacOS X
Linux
Chrome
iOS
Android

Another option, albeit pretty odd, is to use an interpreted environment.
Dos 6.22 software runs fine in DosBox
z-Code can be run on z-machines - and those are virtual machines which are available for the 25 top OS's... and more. There's even one for C64, Blackberry, PalmOS, and CP/M.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Sekundar on Tue 16 Oct 2018 11:14

aramis wrote:
VoidStalker_WoE wrote:
aramis wrote:Java works across platforms, but is clunky much of the time.
I wonder if it would be workable for things like shipyards and sysgen applications? Not something needed for when the game is going on, but for when your wanting to do the books. I just don't know about spreadsheets, and so find them to intimidating to even attempt to learn, lol.

I'm so glad to see the game being sold actively once again! Now I just need to get all of my buddies to go out and buy it!!!

Yes, it would. The hard part is picking the right cross-platform display library.

Pick the wrong one, and it's unusable on any... :cry:

Seriously, it's pretty well cross-platform... provided you grab the correct libraries.

You're going to want to target 4-6 environments.
windows X
MacOS X
Linux
Chrome
iOS
Android

Another option, albeit pretty odd, is to use an interpreted environment.
Dos 6.22 software runs fine in DosBox
z-Code can be run on z-machines - and those are virtual machines which are available for the 25 top OS's... and more. There's even one for C64, Blackberry, PalmOS, and CP/M.

CP/M, huh? I've still got my Osborne-1 stashed away somewhere. How many 5 1/4 in floppies does it take?

I was kinda sorta thinking of making a browser based ship design app for Starfire I&II.
F - is the Fire that rains from the skies
U - for Uranium bomb!
N - is for No survivors...
Sekundar
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby aramis on Fri 09 Nov 2018 22:16

Chrome can be removed from the potential target list, since it now also runs android apps.

As for CP/M, I have a working Kaypro II back in Anchorage.... Rugged. I'd love to see what Mr. Kay would do with modern tech and materials...
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Previous

Return to Original Starfire