What hex did you click on?

Home of the 1st and 2nd editions of STARFIRE

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

What hex did you click on?

Postby Dustin_00 on Sat 08 Mar 2014 11:46

Ug, this took far longer than expected. Learning how to work with the Unity colliders and 3d space was not as trivial as I thought (cuz I've done ray casting and collision work before, so it's no big deal, right?).

Anyway, I finally got the brilliant idea to DRAW the box (bright pink thing) and then I realized I did NOT have it quite where I thought it was.

Once I adjusted the box to have the owner hex on top of it, then I was able to point to the very left corner of the green hex and the game knew I was still pointing at that hex and not one of the two neighbors.

Now that ship you selected can be placed on the board!

But first... time to go swimming!
Dustin_00
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Re: What hex did you click on?

Postby Cralis on Sat 08 Mar 2014 12:14

Very nice! Of course things are more difficult than you think. Understanding that is a cornerstone of good time estimation on a software project. I pretty much multiply my initial estimates by 1.5x at the least.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: What hex did you click on?

Postby Dustin_00 on Sat 08 Mar 2014 13:54

For learning Unity, my time estimates are mostly: "it takes what it takes".

Although I was getting very close to "Screw it -- this one way is not quite right, but it'll work for now."
Dustin_00
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Return to Original Starfire