Vassal playing thread v1.00

Home of the 1st and 2nd editions of STARFIRE

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Vassal playing thread v1.00

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Sun 10 Dec 2017 14:59

Well, most of the weekend has passed into history, and not a single missile, nor gun, nor laser beam was fired! :cry:

Although the afternoon is still young, so perhaps...

On the plus side, another old friend of mine is interested, and He is a dedicated gamer, so I expect to get him playing on a regular basis, once he is up and running. Better still, he has an interest in writing.... :mrgreen:

I served with this guy 30 some odd years ago, great guy, and we just spent 2+ hours on the phone catching up!
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Fri 15 Dec 2017 12:19

Well, here it is in mid december, and I have an idea. In another thread, we recently discussed a bit of confusing language in the rules in the {Starfire III: Empires} rule book, and I got to thinking, what if we treated the partial bits of information within the questionable example as a mini-scenario, for play on vassal?

Now, we would have to provide much more information than the example has, with respect to the system layout, and the size and composition of the forces in order to get a good enough set of data in order to pull this off, but with a bit of work, I think that we could do this.

Why should we do this? First and foremost, for the pure fun of it. Secondly, if we use the rules to make up this system, we can set up and see what the likely strengths of the various NPR fleets might have had, and thus be better able to make guesses as to what might happen. Finally, if we do this, it will serve as a focus for learning/playing SF1/vassal, and may just lead folks to write really good practice AAR's that can be used to better illustrate the rules, and set folks up to be able to do the same for the more complex versions once they get into starfire modules of their own.

What say you?
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Sat 16 Dec 2017 19:23

Seems everyone else is busy with family things this holiday season. 8-)

So looking forward to being able to write some AAR's, but we will have to see what we can see after tomorrow's game.
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sun 17 Dec 2017 07:05

VoidStalker_WoE wrote:Seems everyone else is busy with family things this holiday season. 8-)

So looking forward to being able to write some AAR's, but we will have to see what we can see after tomorrow's game.

It's not just the holiday season. It's also the "everybody gets sick" season. And the "quick lets get a bunch of crap done before the end of the physical year" season, both at work and at home.

I am waiting to see your AAR for Vassal. I am interesting, even if my attention is divided ten times right now.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Sun 17 Dec 2017 12:01

Cralis wrote:
VoidStalker_WoE wrote:Seems everyone else is busy with family things this holiday season. 8-)

It's not just the holiday season. It's also the "everybody gets sick" season. And the "quick lets get a bunch of crap done before the end of the physical year" season, both at work and at home.

I am waiting to see your AAR for Vassal. I am interesting, even if my attention is divided ten times right now.
Ugh! Don't I know it. I don't own a car right now, and just use the bus to get back and forth to work, and it's just about a mile to the bus stop. With the white stuff on the roads, and folks here driving like they have never seen it before, the buses are always way off schedule, and so the time spent standing out in the snow quickly climbs, and now I have a persistent cold, just in time for christmas, lol. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it) I live in a household of one, so no pressures other than what I make for myself. It's lonely, but also (mostly) stress free, so there is that. Hopefully you and yours will have a great holiday season, and the good times and good cheer far surpass the bad and 'not-so-good' stuff! :mrgreen:

I have high hopes for todays game session, and we will see how the combat and AAR's play out. Thanks again for the uploading of the custom avatar! :mrgreen:
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Mon 18 Dec 2017 06:11

Got lucky and scored a 2 out of three starfire playing day! During this game, some other discoveries were made, mainly by making bad mistakes and then learning from them. I think that we will be replaying the first two battles, and making sure to get the rules watched better, so that the log file is as good as it can get.

Found out that the "saved game" is just the game as it is at the moment the save is made, while the log file is a complete history of the game, and thus what allows players to go back over the gaming session, and figure out what they were doing wrong/right.

When using the targeting function, click the button, then click and drag from your ship to the target(s). There is no firing if the range finder is active, so you need to click some where on the map to make it go away before you can actually shoot.

Discovered that stacks are hard to work, but suspect that this is mostly from doing something else wrong in addition, and that the other mistake is what was causing all the problems.
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Previous

Return to Original Starfire