Rules Clarification [19.0] Original

Home of the 1st and 2nd editions of STARFIRE

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Rules Clarification [19.0] Original

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Fri 08 Dec 2017 11:19

So, this tiny, yet critical section of the rules is something that my group & I just tore up and completely rewrote, giving far better initial fleets for all the NPR's. I have to ask what everyone else thinks about the three columns, and the odds of getting an item, and the numbers of that item, if successful on the roll? I don't have my house rules from 30 years ago, but I do remember the replacement table having 10 columns, and at the high militancy end, it wasn't so much a chance of having some small number of the items, but more a small chance of having an additional number of such items. So, for anyone reading up on [19.0], have you any thoughts?
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Rules Clarification [19.0] Original

Postby aramis on Fri 08 Dec 2017 18:25

Player Fleet sizes were often way too large to handle at start, and so the table here (which quietly presumes access to poly dice) is laughably small. Fix is at the other ends of the warp-line.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Fri 08 Dec 2017 18:40

aramis wrote:Player Fleet sizes were often way too large to handle at start, and so the table here (which quietly presumes access to poly dice) is laughably small. Fix is at the other ends of the warp-line.
Indeed! I have a current selection of dice from Chessex, they are quite reasonable @ $.55/ea.

Back when, we used the same table for the player fleets and the NPR fleets, but allowed the players to design their own ships.
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Sat 16 Dec 2017 23:09

I'm still going over all the ship designs, looking for any that are illegal or misprinted.
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sun 17 Dec 2017 07:03

VoidStalker_WoE wrote:I'm still going over all the ship designs, looking for any that are illegal or misprinted.

That's a good idea. We did a cursory examination of typos that could easily be corrected when we originally republished those editions, but without a really detailed look it's hard to know for sure.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Sun 17 Dec 2017 13:22

As an exercise in making sure I got it right, I'm going to work all the ships as construction projects, using the form that I always have built ships with, and then post a few of them for fact checking. I always used pen and paper for the simple stuff, but wrote a couple simple programs back in the day, for shipbuilding and printing. I have to admit that it was not till years later that I actually got around to just printing out my fleets and slipping them into a document protector, so I could use the old water soluble pens to record damage and be able to reuse the fleets over and over again, lol. That came in mighty handy when my group would explore strange new worlds, and the inhabitants if said worlds were less than thrilled, and let us in on their displeasure with a warm welcome offered up by their entire massed battle fleets!

I would print out the "Maximum Battle Fleet" page, done by tech level, and then just note how many of which the NPR really had. Freaked out some of the guys that would take the opportunity to sneak a peek at the SM's notes while I was hitting the can or grabbing a snack. :twisted:
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Mon 18 Dec 2017 05:54

Actually, my buddy and I have worked out a spreadsheet for Original Starfire I, and this is going to make the project far easier, lol.
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Return to Original Starfire