My first real-orbit

https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/

Moderators: SDS Owner, SDS Members

Re: My first real-orbit

Postby Whitecold on Fri 04 Dec 2015 07:33

aramis wrote:For those unfamiliar with it, it' is worth noting that if your design is untenable, it may break apart on the pad, or fall over, or do other funky things...

Oh, and it's also possible to do a shuttlecock reentry...

With the new aerodynamics the shuttlecock is likely to undergo rapid unplanned disassembly in the atmosphere. On the upside, fairings now help a lot, and you can get that sleek rocket look on the launchpad without batteries and landing legs sticking out from your craft in every direction.
Whitecold
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby aramis on Mon 07 Dec 2015 02:58

Whitecold wrote:
aramis wrote:For those unfamiliar with it, it' is worth noting that if your design is untenable, it may break apart on the pad, or fall over, or do other funky things...

Oh, and it's also possible to do a shuttlecock reentry...

With the new aerodynamics the shuttlecock is likely to undergo rapid unplanned disassembly in the atmosphere. On the upside, fairings now help a lot, and you can get that sleek rocket look on the launchpad without batteries and landing legs sticking out from your craft in every direction.

My copy was purchased on steam just three months ago, so it's current.

My shuttlecock design, working top down:
standard width 1 kerbal cockpit (2m?)
Equipment bay, containing: 4 parachutes, 2 batteries and a reaction wheel.
large width crew pod (4 kerbal), sprouting 8 straight wing sections, each wing sporting a swept wing.

4 thrust-stacks attached to crew pod, with radial connectors, tied together for stability.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby voidstalker[woe] on Tue 05 Nov 2019 07:00

Anyone still playing this game? I just saw this right before CoaDE, and felt like asking about this game as well.
voidstalker[woe]
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Tue 05 Nov 2019 17:17

Sadly, I haven’t had the time. I’m trying to put any free time I have into Starfire.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby voidstalker[woe] on Wed 06 Nov 2019 01:15

Cralis wrote:Sadly, I haven’t had the time. I’m trying to put any free time I have into Starfire.
On the one hand, I have to commiserate on the lack of free time to enjoy life and gaming. :(

On the other hand, am I evil that I like you working on SF? :twisted:

I have to say that I am glad of your undying efforts on behalf of SF over the years.
voidstalker[woe]
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Thu 07 Nov 2019 18:36

voidstalker[woe] wrote:On the other hand, am I evil that I like you working on SF? :twisted:

Certainly not! But it’s not just me. You at least need to include Dazrand, Krenshala, Elminster, Dawn Falcon, and Xveers. Even Marvin has been contributing between games of golf! ;-)

I have to say that I am glad of your undying efforts on behalf of SF over the years.

Well I’m always happy to hear your ideas and stories. :-)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby voidstalker[woe] on Thu 07 Nov 2019 23:52

Cralis wrote:Certainly not! But it’s not just me. You at least need to include Dazrand, Krenshala, Elminster, Dawn Falcon, and Xveers. Even Marvin has been contributing between games of golf! ;-)
I hereby include, with thanks and much gratitude Dazrand, Krenshala, Elminster, Dawn Falcon, and Xveers, for all their efforts Starfire! And a special thanks to the boss man, for keeping this dream alive, 40 years after it started!
voidstalker[woe]
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Xveers on Fri 15 Nov 2019 22:27

I haven't touched Kerbal Space Program in a few years, but it's honestly an excellent game. It's not -quite- realistic (mostly because it assumes Kerbin is substantially smaller, and with a thinner atmosphere, I think), but you'll definitely get the right feel for everything in the game.

It's also moddable to hell and back, so you can make a MUCH more realistic game out of it when you understand what you're doing (so you start having to set up multiple comm stations, an orbital and interplanetary communications system, and refuelling depots). Mods can also give you new systems (so you can/have to do radar surveys of planets before you can land on them), and let you even fully automate your probes, so that they fire their engines at the right spot with the right level of thrust.

And frankly, unlike more hard science stuff like Orbiter, Kerbal IS easily approachable. And you don't have to worry about unplanned lithobraking. Well, you probably will. But you won't feel so bad about it. Even when your rocket loops back and slams into the VAB...
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby aramis on Sat 16 Nov 2019 03:32

voidstalker[woe] wrote:Anyone still playing this game? I just saw this right before CoaDE, and felt like asking about this game as well.

Infrequently, but yes.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby voidstalker[woe] on Sat 16 Nov 2019 12:29

Xveers wrote:I haven't touched Kerbal Space Program in a few years, but it's honestly an excellent game. It's not -quite- realistic (mostly because it assumes Kerbin is substantially smaller, and with a thinner atmosphere, I think), but you'll definitely get the right feel for everything in the game.

It's also moddable to hell and back, so you can make a MUCH more realistic game out of it when you understand what you're doing (so you start having to set up multiple comm stations, an orbital and interplanetary communications system, and refuelling depots). Mods can also give you new systems (so you can/have to do radar surveys of planets before you can land on them), and let you even fully automate your probes, so that they fire their engines at the right spot with the right level of thrust.

And frankly, unlike more hard science stuff like Orbiter, Kerbal IS easily approachable. And you don't have to worry about unplanned lithobraking. Well, you probably will. But you won't feel so bad about it. Even when your rocket loops back and slams into the VAB...
Thats golden!!!

aramis wrote:
voidstalker[woe] wrote:Anyone still playing this game? I just saw this right before CoaDE, and felt like asking about this game as well.

Infrequently, but yes.
I've been having some bad days lately, and so have not been posting anything here.

It seems like I may just need to get the "Kerbal Space Program" and give it a whirl, until I'm fit to work on some real content here.
voidstalker[woe]
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Previous

Return to Kerbal Space Program