Guns in atmosphere!

A newbies misguided attempt at Cosmic Conquest.

Moderators: VoidStalker_WoE, Cralis

Guns in atmosphere!

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Sat 30 Dec 2017 07:40

In this thread, I'm basically just going to state my belief that "Guns" just cannot work within an atmosphere, as the guns' projectile needs to have all the speed it's ever going to have as it leaves the barrel, and if the end of that barrel is within an atmosphere thick enough to matter, the shell needs to vaporise instantly due to friction. Starfire guns can hit a target at vast ranges, and even though I have massively lengthened the tactical turn timespan, the projectiles must travel as speeds far in excess of what anything physical can achieve within any portion of an atmosphere and not be reduced to a rapidly expanding cloud of sub-atomic particles.

A ship in my house rules game, mentioned elsewhere that is traveling at speed 1, is still traveling at 720,000 MPH. If we made Mach 1 720 MPH, then a speed one ship would be traveling at Mach 1,000, and keeping in mind that the projectiles from a gun must be moving far faster, we can say that guns cannot be used either up from a planet's surface, nor down onto a planet's surface, so long as there is ANY atmosphere, of any kind.

At this point, I'd like to know what others think of my reasoning, and offer up anything they would like on the subject of guns in atmosphere.
Last edited by VoidStalker_WoE on Sat 27 Jan 2018 07:33, edited 1 time in total.
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Guns in atmospheres!

Postby Vandervecken on Tue 23 Jan 2018 22:30

It's your campaign. I can easily live with your assumptions. Go for it!
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Sat 27 Jan 2018 07:14

Vandervecken wrote:It's your campaign. I can easily live with your assumptions. Go for it!
Thanks Van! All my starfire plans are kinda in limbo at the moment, as my army buddy is not yet sold on starfire as a game, or at least not stuck with the crappy vassal module that is publicly available. I'm not sure whether to try a campaign, or even writing any AAR's, as we only play once a week (if that), and unless the guy really is into it, it would just be mostly a waste of time.

OTOH, he is willing to play once a week, so maybe playing scenarios that I create might be doable, kinda like a solo campaign, but with a dude willing to playtest out some battles with me once a week. :)
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sun 28 Jan 2018 00:56

VoidStalker_WoE wrote:OTOH, he is willing to play once a week, so maybe playing scenarios that I create might be doable, kinda like a solo campaign, but with a dude willing to playtest out some battles with me once a week. :)

That's exactly what I would do. Put together a solo campaign (or something like a campaign) to generate battles you can turn into scenarios. And someday if he decides to look deeper into the campaign, you have one already running to show him.

In the past I've seen games where some players weren't interested in the strategy part of the game, but played as admirals who were given orders and did the combats and theatre level decision making. If someone is willing to run the empire part, there are players who love doing that.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to "Voidstalker’s vigilantes" take 1