Scenario 1. No Love for the Sciences

QSR based series of scenarios with fiction

Moderators: Cralis, SDS Members, SDS Owner

Re: Scenario 1. No Love for the Sciences

Postby Cralis on Sat 12 Aug 2017 17:17

SCC wrote:Artifact of the rules, in QSR L.01 doesn't exist, which changes things a LOT.

What? In the QSR (part 1 or combined rules) Laser Beam description sentence two. "As light is magnetically neutral Laser Beams ignore (skip) all shields on the target, doing damage to the next system in line."

With L.01 the Sungold can execute a surprise attack that destroys one of the attackers' first 5 post-armor systems, so if a veteran player can stick in the attackers' blind spot for two turn they have the chance to inflict some crippling damage. Destroying or even forcing the attacker to surrender is, at least theoretically, possible if that rule is in effect.

So Cralis, what happens to the campaign if that happens?

I played this scenario a LOT and that didn't happen. I think we tried to ambush and destroy the destroyer three different times and could never actually do it. The Sungold simply doesn't have the HTK and can't stay in the blindspot so it will take hits.

So I never considered it. But if it ever happened, I guess part 2 would have a new DD to fight against.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby SCC on Sat 12 Aug 2017 21:01

Cralis wrote:
SCC wrote:Artifact of the rules, in QSR L.01 doesn't exist, which changes things a LOT.

What? In the QSR (part 1 or combined rules) Laser Beam description sentence two. "As light is magnetically neutral Laser Beams ignore (skip) all shields on the target, doing damage to the next system in line."

L.01 allow the beam to sacrifice all but 1 point of damage to penetrate 10 points of armor per point so sacrificed and do a single point of deep damage.
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sun 13 Aug 2017 04:26

SCC wrote:L.01 allow the beam to sacrifice all but 1 point of damage to penetrate 10 points of armor per point so sacrificed and do a single point of deep damage.

Ah, the focused attacked. For some reason I was thinking you were calling the L description in the QSR as "L.01" ... I didn't realize you were referring back to the main rule set. You are correct, for simplicity we left out most of the extra rules likes that for weapons when writing the QSR.

Even so, I don't think it would allow the Sungold to win. A lucky hit might allow the Sungold an easier time at retreating. But no, it's not in the QSR.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Previous

Return to [SDS] QSR Campaign