Rating a Scenario

Official and player-made scenarios and campaign concepts

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Please post new scenarios or campaign ideas in a separate thread. The search engine can find all related fiction. Have fun! Just let us know who wins...

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Players may post suggestions or completed scenarios and campaign concepts for other players to play. Players are encouraged to post the results of their play in the topic for the scenario, along with any suggestions or praise to the author. Player submissions in this forum are the property and responsibility of the author.

Rating a Scenario

Postby Cralis on Sun 03 Jun 2018 23:08

So I think we should come up with a common rating system for scenarios, so players can rate them and the best can be identified.

I'm thinking either a 1-5 or a 1-10 rating system, but I'm not sure what categories we should rate. What do ya'll think?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: Rating a Scenario

Postby Whitecold on Mon 04 Jun 2018 11:51

To start if off what comes to my mind:

Story: How interesting is the backstory?
Balance: How well are the sides balanced?

Not necessarily a rating, but more categorization
Difficulty: How difficult is the scenario with regards to special rules, ship designs. (Beginner, Advanced, Expert)
Size: How big is the engagement? (Skirmish, Squadron, Fleet)
Length: How long does the scenario take to play?
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Mon 04 Jun 2018 14:59

Whitecold wrote:Story: How interesting is the backstory?

I thought of this one, but I wonder if every scenario needs a back story? The QSR scenarios don’t have a backstory, but they were designed to teach concepts only. Maybe an optional score only for scenarios that include a story element?

Balance: How well are the sides balanced?

Absolutely spot on. Balance will need to be more than force composition... victory conditions are a huge part of balance. One side may have vastly superior numbers and technology, and is balanced by realistic victory conditions
like “x shipsmust escape through the warp point.

Not necessarily a rating, but more categorization
Difficulty: How difficult is the scenario with regards to special rules, ship designs. (Beginner, Advanced, Expert)

We can average the scores for each report to come up with a difficuly rating average for each scenario.

Size: How big is the engagement? (Skirmish, Squadron, Fleet)

This should be a constant. Something like:
Squadron is 10 or less units per side
Task Force is 50 or less units per side
Fleet is 100+ units per side

etc.

Length: How long does the scenario take to play?

Another great question that averages between reported values would let us know time probably required.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Whitecold on Mon 04 Jun 2018 15:56

If a scenario does not have story, so be it.
I'd add a 'fun' score, purely subjective overall impression of the scenario, to capture everything that is not caught elsewhere.

Another category could be fleet composition: Fixed (Ships are given), Pick (Player can select from designs), Free (Players can design their ships)
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Tue 05 Jun 2018 11:17

What word could we use to call the “fun” factor?

Enjoyability? Pleasurability? Entertainment? Enjoyment?

And good call on Fleet Design or Composition type. Each will have very different rules that we should put a suggested outline for handling in the scenario outline section
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Fri 08 Jun 2018 02:06

No additional comments? With all of the people asking for a scenario section, I would have thought we'd have a little more interest in discussing the implementation...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Starfire Scenarios