First games in 30 years

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

First games in 30 years

Postby grondak on Sun 30 Jul 2017 17:29

Hi all,

I took a long break from Starfire. I couldn't find anyone in college to play with me (D&Ders, which were fine). I worked in the first two scenarios of the wargamevault.com quick start rules today.

Scenario 1: I lost. Had my CT chewed out from under me. Kerblammo!
Scenario 2: I picked the DD type 2 and my point defense crews were workin' it. I also picked a CT type 3 and a CT type 5. I lost only my knife-fighting CT. Since my winning tactic was to circle the enemy at optimum plasma torpedo range, I should have picked another CT type 5 and stayed out of his range entirely. My friend's point defense crews had little training and got their ship shot out from under them.

We had a lot of fun. We role-played that since our ships were cut from the same designs, the situation was that the governments involved had rented some ships for a "short, sharp war" and both rented from the same company. I paid them extra for point defense training.

We will likely play again soon!
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Re: First games in 30 years

Postby Cralis on Mon 31 Jul 2017 00:44

grondak wrote:Hi all,

I took a long break from Starfire. I couldn't find anyone in college to play with me (D&Ders, which were fine). I worked in the first two scenarios of the wargamevault.com quick start rules today.

I definitely know the feeling... for a number of years it was hard to find anyone willing to play any wargame, but we had to take a number to participate in a D&D game. Even more so when it was just friends playing D&D. I often wondered if people got their wargaming fix on the computer, because everyone just wanted to roleplay.

So how did you friends like the QSR rules?

Scenario 1: I lost. Had my CT chewed out from under me. Kerblammo!
Scenario 2: I picked the DD type 2 and my point defense crews were workin' it. I also picked a CT type 3 and a CT type 5. I lost only my knife-fighting CT. Since my winning tactic was to circle the enemy at optimum plasma torpedo range, I should have picked another CT type 5 and stayed out of his range entirely. My friend's point defense crews had little training and got their ship shot out from under them.

We had a lot of fun. We role-played that since our ships were cut from the same designs, the situation was that the governments involved had rented some ships for a "short, sharp war" and both rented from the same company. I paid them extra for point defense training.

The QSR was designed to be quick & dirty, and easy to learn in a very short period of time (5-10 minutes, tops...less by experienced players). It's interesting that you home ruled for crew modifiers. I'm curious how you did that, because I'm always interested to hear about potential new ways of doing things...

We will likely play again soon!

I was going to ask how you liked the QSR and the scenarios, but I think this says it all. Which scenarios are you playing next?

And welcome back to Starfire!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby grondak on Mon 31 Jul 2017 05:54

Heh. Thanks for the induction (or was that when my CT went down in flames in the first scenario?)

We didn't make up a house rule-- my dice rolls on point defense versus my opponent's standard missile and plasma torpedo strikes were phenomenally better. I offered to switch ten-siders with him many times.

We did use a erratic manuevering very often. I played one hard turn to get his knife-fighter out of my DD's blind spot.
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby dazrand on Mon 31 Jul 2017 18:49

Sweet, sounds like a nice battle! Please post more :D

Welcome back and welcome to your new opponent!
dazrand
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby grondak on Mon 31 Jul 2017 21:09

Thanks Dazrand!

The battle lasted long enough for the CT type 5 to get down to two more shots. If his remaining CT ran off, I couldn't catch him. He'd ruin my complete victory by escape (which my memory is dragging up as a rule from classic Starfire) Hey I think I should get started reading the Solar rules. heh.
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby Cralis on Tue 01 Aug 2017 00:24

Got it. Sounds like you had one heck of a battle.

Can't wait to hear more.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby grondak on Wed 02 Aug 2017 20:42

We'll play Scenario 3, Convoy Escape, this Sunday. Starfire is a great diversion while we chat about other things and forget which ships have just turned or not.
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby grondak on Sun 06 Aug 2017 14:39

We ran Convoy Escape twice.

It was the Rats versus the Iguana races.

The first time, the Rats focused on the Iguana destroyer and two FT2s got off the map. Iguana minor victory!
The second time, we swapped and played again. The second run, the Iguanas tore the engines out of two of the FT2s and only 1 escaped. The Rat destroyer was down to a move of 1 and a single Energy Beam. Iguana minor victory!

The FT2s held refugees and milk. Destroying them was in[Rat|Iguana]mane. Evil agressors!
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby grondak on Sun 06 Aug 2017 20:36

Next week, Scenario 4, Fleet Action. The Iguanas will tear up those Rats!
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby Cralis on Mon 07 Aug 2017 01:13

Wow nice results. So who is playing who? :D
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Next

Return to Solar Starfire