Weapon Combinations

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Weapon Combinations

Postby Cralis on Wed 07 Feb 2018 16:48

I've always wondered how many players use laser warheads in Ultra and Solar Starfire...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Dawn Falcon on Wed 07 Feb 2018 18:10

I have some central stockpiles and fast freighters for deploying them.

But I also tend to spread out less than most players.
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Xveers on Wed 07 Feb 2018 19:59

Cralis wrote:I've always wondered how many players use laser warheads in Ultra and Solar Starfire...

I could tell you, but I'd have to shoot you :P
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby SCC on Sat 10 Feb 2018 02:33

I was originally planning on using Ra and Fa for my test game, if I ever get around to playing it, but recently I've switch to Ra and La. That one HS bigger for Fa is a bit of a disadvantage, bit too much of a squeeze, plus I can swap them out for Ra easier. And there's this neat trick I can do putting 7 La, 2 Qa and 20A on a fifty HS ASF, or swapping the 7 La out for 6 Ra, Ya and 3 Mg, with the Fa's 5 HS requirement I can't do that.
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby coldsteel on Mon 12 Feb 2018 14:06

Cralis wrote:I've always wondered how many players use laser warheads in Ultra and Solar Starfire...

Dunno about Ultra and Solar but I like to use 'em once they get developed for XO missiles and two salvoes-worth in the magazines in any ship with capital launchers for 3rdR.
TFN: 1 BB, 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 11 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Mon 12 Feb 2018 15:16

coldsteel wrote:

Dunno about Ultra and Solar but I like to use 'em once they get developed for XO missiles and two salvoes-worth in the magazines in any ship with capital launchers for 3rdR.

Lw are most effective against ships with heavy point defense... that was even more true in Classic Starfire. Against ships with less (or no) point defense, you basically give up a little damage. I used to have ships dedicated to using Lw and other ships that didn't use them at all, and colliers full of both to trade out if I encountered a race that one or the other was better to use.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby coldsteel on Wed 14 Feb 2018 17:25

Cralis wrote:Lw are most effective against ships with heavy point defense... that was even more true in Classic Starfire. Against ships with less (or no) point defense, you basically give up a little damage. I used to have ships dedicated to using Lw and other ships that didn't use them at all, and colliers full of both to trade out if I encountered a race that one or the other was better to use.

I like to use them to strip off Armor/XO racks during the initial salvoes. And if they have -AM warheads on there... BWA-HA-HAAA..... But I never carry full loads of them, just enough in the mags for 2 turns fire and use half the XOs per shot. My dedicated LRW ships in 3rdR have 3+ mags per at high tech levels, so if using -LW is a waste, I have enough normal missiles that I don't need to swap anything.
TFN: 1 BB, 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 11 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Commander
Commander

Postby PracticalM on Tue 20 Feb 2018 21:56

I generally prefer R and E, but I've done R and L with a focus on Laser Warheads and Lx.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Previous

Return to Solar Starfire